Position Title: Livestock Development Officer
Deadline for Application: 15 October 2018
The Regional Office for RLC is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RLC also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RLC develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region. The post is located in the Strategic Objective SP2.
The Livestock Development Officer reports to the Regional Officer responsible for Sustainable Production Systems (Strategic Objective 2), contributes to regional initiatives in the Latin America and Caribbean region: Hunger-Free Latin America and Caribbean Initiative (RI1) , Family farming and inclusive food systems for sustainable rural development (RI2), Sustainable use of natural resources, adaptation to climate change and disaster risk management (RI3), maintains regular contact with FAO headquarters in Rome for technical guidance on matters relating to livestock development in the food and agricultural sectors, and is under the overall supervision of the Regional Representative.
Provides technical support for results based policies and programmes in the Region, supporting the achievement of country level priorities related for food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture and rural development, and environmental well-being, in which livestock development plays a role. Support policy dialogue and technical advice on the contribution of livestock sector to SDG with emphasis on SDG2, SDG1, SDG12, SDG13, SDG15.
Research, technical analysis, and project related services to support the delivery of programme projects, products, and services.
- Researches and analyzes technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional, and technology related information, data and statistics and/or related policy issues to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
- Produces a variety of technical information, data, statistics and reports as well as input for technical documents and web pages;
- Provides technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies and initiatives and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
- Collaborates in the development of improved/updated tools, systems, processes, and databases;
- Participates on multi-disciplinary teams, and/or leads working groups/teams collaborates with other departments and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices;
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
- Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations;
- Supports resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Supports vision and strategic thinking on animal production and health related matters for the development and implementation of FAOs programmes of work, with focus on sustainable agriculture and food systems, food security and nutrition, resilience
- Supports the achievement of the SDGs and environmental and climate targets at all levels through technical support related to livestock development
- Provides support to member countries in implementing the FAO Regional Initiatives and actions foreseen under the Country Programming Frameworks.
- Provides expertise on strategies, approaches, technologies in livestock production and health, including climate smart practices, low carbon emission on livestock production and for emergency preparedness and during emergency response operations.
- Provides support to member countries in implementing national, global and region specific strategies to control and eradicate Transboundary Animal Diseases and major zoonoses.
- Provides support to member countries in implementing the Global Plan of Action for Animal Genetic Resources.
- Supports secretariat functions for relevant regional technical commissions and conferences
- Supports the establishment of new and maintain existing strategic alliances, partnerships, and communities of practices
- Performs other related duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Agricultural, Economic or Environmental Sciences, veterinary sciences, animal sciences or related field.
- Five years of relevant experience in sustainable livestock development policy and technical work related to livestock production and health
- Working knowledge of Spanish and limited knowledge of English
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in the relevant international instruments and policies governing livestock sector development, including those related to UN climate and environmental commitments Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential;
- Extent and relevance of experience or knowledge of livestock production and health related strategies and policies and ability to analyse complex livestock production and health issues from social, economic and environmental perspectives and to identify strategic entry points for promoting livestock production in other sector policies and in diverse landscapes and ecosystems
- Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementation of programmes related to sustainable livestock production.
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing international and intergovernmental meetings, seminars and training courses
- Relevance and level of academic qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with senior government officials, development partners and other country stakeholders
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of project formulation and funding requirements of major multilateral and bilateral funding agencies. Experience with environmental resource partners is an asset
READ: FAO Vacancy: Agribusiness Officers (Rome and various locations)
- All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “How to Apply”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- Candidates endorsed in the selection process for this vacancy announcement will be considered for the FAO Professional Employment Roster for a period of two years. The Roster is used to fill other similar positions at the same or lower grade, and in the same or another duty station
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments
REMUNERATION: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
HOW TO APPLY: To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete the online application.