APPLICATION DEADLINE: 12/10/2018
The Investment Centre Division (TCI) promotes investment in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and Agro-processing in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, in particular international financing institutions with the strategic planning and implementation of their investments to achieve food security and nutrition, make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more sustainable and productive, reduce rural poverty, make food value chains more efficient and inclusive and promote climate change adaptation and/or mitigation. TCI is a multidisciplinary division composed of three regionally focused services, namely Africa Service, Asia and the Pacific Service, and Europe, Central Asia, Near East, North Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean Service. The post is located in TCI.
The Agribusiness Officer reports either to the Chief, Africa Service (TCIA), or Chief, Latin America and the Caribbean Service (TCIC).
Technical Focus Design
implementation support and evaluation of agricultural investment operations, as well as strategic and policy work, with a focus on agribusiness development and the creation of an enabling environment for efficient and inclusive agricultural and food systems, including functioning agricultural support services as well as rural market and finance institutions.
Provision of technical expertise/assistance and support to capacity development for (i) the design of investment operations, in collaboration with country stakeholders and cooperating partners, to mobilize resources for food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing; and (ii) implementation support and evaluation of investment operations, in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
- Participates in, and eventually leads multidisciplinary teams to assist governments in the identification and preparation of investment operations in the fields of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing, and participates in pre-appraisal and appraisal missions.
- Participates in, and eventually leads multidisciplinary teams for the implementation support and the preparation of final evaluation of investment operations.
- Provides technical expertise for the preparation of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing studies and strategies, in the formulation of national sector and/or sub-sector investment plans and programmes.
- Supports the development of inclusive and sustainable food systems involving producers, their organizations, other private sector actors, and civil society organizations and government.
- Formulates and delivers capacity development strategies and activities in the areas of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investment support to government staff, and non-state actors and private sector organizations.
- Prepares reports in accordance with governments and financing partner s’ requirements.
- Provides support in task organization, selection of consultants, preparation of terms of reference and in ensuring the quality of outputs.
- Promotes international cooperation and collaboration leading to new investment opportunities and cooperative agreements, advocates best practices and effective policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international meetings.
- Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy
- Provides guidance and advice to junior staff.
- Provides contributions in the analysis of selected agricultural sub sectors and value chains.
- Assesses constraints and opportunities for investment at all levels of selected value chains, in relation to the functionality of private sector engagement, markets and market institutions, existence and performance of support services, trade policies, risk management systems, as well as food safety control systems when applicable.
- Identifies and analyses agricultural investment-related policy issues.
- Provides contributions in the development of knowledge products, including analytical work and practical tools, related to agribusiness, marketing and value chain development.
- Develop public private platforms aiming at promoting an enabling environment for investment along the value chain.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agriculture, agro-industry, business administration, economics, agricultural economics or a closely related field
- Seven years of relevant experience in the practical application of value chain analysis and development, agribusiness and market development, processing, including experience in the formulation and/or implementation of agricultural investment operations in developing countries
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese or Russian
- Results Focus
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience in technical fields related to agribusiness development, value-chain development and analysis, business planning, and agriculture marketing
- Extent and relevance of experience in participating in multidisciplinary teams for the preparation of strategies and sector studies as well as formulation, implementation support or evaluation of agricultural investment operations, with focus on value chain development and agribusiness
- Extent and relevance of experience in investment design, implementation support and evaluation procedures of FAO’s main development partners, in particular the World Bank, the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) is considered a strong asset.
- Extent and relevance of experience in major technical fields related to livestock production and processing and value chain analysis;
- Extent and relevance of experience in analyzing food safety and quality and related issues;
- Relevance of experience in capacity development for the design and implementation of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investments
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with government officials, development partners and other country stakeholders
- Demonstrated capacity to write technical reports in English and/or French or Russian is considered a strong asset.
- All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “How to Apply”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- Candidates endorsed in the selection process for this vacancy announcement will be considered for the FAO Professional Employment Roster for a period of two years. The Roster is used to fill other similar positions at the same or lower grade, and in the same or another duty station
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments
REMUNERATION: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
HOW TO APPLY: To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete the on-line application.
Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered. Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile. Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.