Deadline : 20/Feb/2019, 11:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FAO Bhutan Country Office (CO)
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Bhutan-Thimphu
Duration: 12 months
Post Number: N/A
The FAO Bhutan Country Office (CO) is under double representation arrangement where FAO Representative sits in FAO Office Nepal. CO, headed by Assistant FAO Representative (Program), oversees the program in the country. The proposed Unilateral Trust Fund (UTF) project, entitled Technical Assistance Support to Food Security and Agriculture Productivity (TA-FSAPP), presents technical assistance (TA) actions requested by the Ministry of Agriculture and Forests (MoAF) of the Royal Government of Bhutan (RGoB) to be undertaken by FAO in association with a project called Food Security and Agriculture Productivity Project (FSAPP). The FSAPP is a five-year project financed by a US$8 million grant from the Global Agriculture and Food Security Programme (GAFSP). The World Bank is the supervising entity of the FSAPP. Including the government and beneficiary contributions, the total cost of FSAPP is US$9.3 million.
- From project opportunities and achieve results on agriculture productivity enhancement, better market access and improved food security and nutrition
- Fostering multi-sectoral participation, coordination and value chain development in food & nutrition security Programs
- To improve agricultural productivity vital for improving food security and nutrition
- To promote value chains for selected high value nutrient-rich crops and enhanced linkages to domestic and export markets.
- Addressing Climate Change and its impacts on agriculture and food and nutrition security
The NPP reports to Project Director, PMU/DoA and AFAOR, FAO Bhutan
Food & nutrition security programs. The Marketing/Value Chain Specialist is a contract position at PMU arranged by FAO. The NPP will be responsible for the implementation of and coordination for FSAPP technical assistance activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
The NPP will liaise and work with other consultants and PSTs as required. More specifically, s/he will:
- support Project Support Team in preparation of FSAPP project activities of all project dzongkhags and gewogs to align with FAO-TAs work plan;
- guide DAMC and local team in collection of primary and secondary data for formulation of farmer groups-based agribusiness and marketing;
- arrange workshops on agriculture based enterprise development and agribusiness to strengthen and re-orient farmer groups towards an enterprise and business planning approach;
- coordinate with Implementing Partners/PMU/FAO to arrange consultants (IC/NC) to assist in quality seed production, improved cultivation, aligning the production with seasonal demand, nursery management, integrated pest management, soil fertility improvement, basic maintenance and operation of farm equipment;
- develop marketing skills of DAMC, ARDCs and Dzongkhags officials for effective engagement of farmers groups with upstream value chain actors and improved bargaining power for higher price realization; strengthen commercial farm management and business skills, production planning and supply to markets, schools and farm shops;
- advise exporters about international trade practices, trade negotiation, etc. and link them with producers and intermediaries; collaborate with the Nutrition Expert, enable 5 food processing groups (at least one in each dzongkhag) in preparation, packaging and marketing of hygienically safe nutritious food to domestic markets
- facilitate ARDCs/Implementing Partners to include enterprise and business planning approach during gewog level planning process for the project;
- guide DAMC on market infrastructures development (Sales outlet, market shed and farm shops;
- support DAMC to train on Market Information System (MIS) end-users (farmers, traders, agri-businesses, etc.);
- liaise with PMU, PST, Dzongkhags, gewogs and relevant departments and guide concerned officers on undertaking specific activities, like trainings, meetings of agri-entrepreneurs, farmer groups and help them identify, explore agribusiness potential in the project areas; and
- report on targets and achievements to the Project Director and FAO Country Office.
In addition, as Team Leader for TA-FSAPP, s/he will undertake the following tasks:
- Take the overall responsibility for coordination, monitoring and reporting of all activities under TA-FSAPP, including the preparation of the terminal report; and
- Work closely with FAO office in Bhutan and Lead Technical Officer (LTO) located in Bangkok to ensure timely TA inputs to the project and quality implementation of all TA activities.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced Degree in agricultural economics/ sciences or marketing, value chain and/or agribusiness development
- 10 years of relevant experience in relevant professional field
- Working knowledge of English, Dzongkha and other local dialects are advantages.
- National of Buthan
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Extent of relevant technical experience in the areas covered by marketing and value chain.Extent of experience in undertaking marketing and value chain analysis and socio-economic analysisProven ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writingDepth of knowledge of development issues in BhutanWork experience in Bhutan and/or other countries in the Region.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]