Deadline: 20/Feb/2019, 11:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FETUR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Turkey-Ankara
Duration: 12 Months
Post Number: N/A
The main aim of the FAO country office, which is headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
FAO is implementing and planning a number of projects aimed to strengthen the resilience and socio-economic cohesion amongst Syrians under Temporary Protection (SuTP) and vulnerable host communities in rural areas in Turkey through support to agricultural livelihoods and access to employment in the agri-food sector.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Sub-regional Coordinator for Central Asia and FAO Representative in Turkey, direct supervision of the Programme Officer, technical guidance of the Lead Technical Officer and in collaboration with FAO Turkey team, the Agricultural Livelihoods / Livestock Specialist will be responsible for the below mentioned tasks.
Agricultural livelihoods; livestock production, extension and value chains
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership in the area of livestock and related agricultural livelihoods activities, developing relevant costed work/action plans in consultation with key stakeholders, and overseeing their implementation;
- Support the development of beneficiary selection methods and tools, as well as efforts to enhance farmers group formation and dynamics as a means of empowering small-scale farmers and livestock owners, particularly women;
- Provide technical support in the development and implementation of vocational training on livestock production and skills development for the adoption of Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) technologies and practices to increase production of small-scale farmers and livestock owners;
- Establish and maintain effective professional relationships with government counterparts, implementing partners (IM) and service providers, coordinating with them to ensure quality and relevance of training and skills development;
- Review and monitor progress made in the implementation of project activities and make recommendations to improve performance and achieve project objectives;
- Pro-actively support the collection, analyses and dissemination of information useful for the project and other activities in animal health/production carried out by FAO Turkey/SEC;
- Prepare regular/periodic progress reports, develop information products to support decision making during project review exercises and produce and present knowledge products including technical papers, lessons learned or success stories on livestock related activities;
- Identify constraints and issues related to agricultural extension with focus on livestock and take mitigation action to ensure the successful and timely completion of all activities that contribute to project results;
- Produce periodical work plans, progress/intermediate reports, and an end-of assignment report;
- Provide regular technical back-up to the project field personnel to ensure technical compliance;
- Conduct technical thematic meetings for sharing and strengthening the knowledge and skills among project team and FAO Turkey/SEC staff on agricultural livelihoods and livestock activities and approaches;
- Assist in the organization of meetings, workshops and conferences in the field of animal health and production in which FAO is involved in Turkey and contribute to these events with case studies and technical papers;
- Contribute to preparation of communication and outreach materials;
- Undertake duty travel as needed and perform other related tasks as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in animal science, livestock health and production or related discipline
- At least 12 years national/international experience in the livestock sector with specific background in livestock production, value chains or health
- Working knowledge of English and fluency in Turkish
- National of Turkey
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
NB:Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]