Agricultural Economics and Project Monitoring Specialist (R4D/AEPMS/06/13)
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Agricultural Economics and Project Monitoring Specialist.
IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
IITA seeks a qualified Agricultural Economist and Project Monitoring Specialist to support the AFRICA RISING project. Africa Research in Sustainable Intensification for the Next Generation (Africa RSING) comprises three projects supported by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) as part of the US Government’s Feed the Future Initiative. Through action research and development partnerships Africa RISING is aiming at providing options for sustainable intensification of smallholder farming systems to help farmers to move out of hunger and poverty. The three projects are led by IITA in West Africa and East/Southern Africa and the International Livestock Research Institute in the Ethiopian highlands. The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is leading an associated project on monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment.
The successful candidate is expected to work closely with the Project Coordinator in monitoring activities. S/he will also develop and conduct activities aimed at evaluating the profitability of technologies and technology packages tested/demonstrated in the project areas. S/he will serve as key liaison between the IITA led projects and IFPRI.
The Agricultural Economist and Project Monitoring Specialist will report to the Coordinator of the Africa RISING Projects led by IITA through the chief Africa RISING scientist for West Africa based in Tamale.
- Develop and implement activities aimed at evaluating the profitability and adoptability of technologies and technology packages promoted in the project
- Liaise with IFPRI M&E specialists to support baseline and follow up surveys
- Carry out ex-ante impact assessment of selected technologies and advise on technology prioritization
- Conduct selected adoption studies and contribute to overall project impact assessment
- Contribute to project meetings, planning and reporting
- Ensure availability of information on key indicators of the project
- Second project coordinator in monitoring project key milestones
- Contribute to project monitoring and evaluation database based on the program’s overall M&E framework
- Publish research findings and contribute to dissemination of research results and development outcomes to stakeholders
- Facilitate information sharing among project partners
- Mentor and supervise project socio-economic research associates and field technicians.
PhD in agricultural economics or development economics from a highly recognized university.
- Strong knowledge and experience with economic evaluation of agricultural technologies
- Experience with project activity monitoring
- Experience in planning and conducting socioeconomic surveys in rural Africa
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and complementary econometric techniques and software (e.g. STATA)
- Knowledge of GIS and geospatial analysis
- Demonstrated ability to write and publish journal articles
- Excellent spoken and written English, ability to communicate in French is desirable
- Ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-cultural environment.
Duty station: Tamale, Ghana, but will involve extensive travel to Africa RISING project sites in West and East/Southern Africa.
General information: Initial appointment is for two years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications: Applications including covering letter, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service. Please complete our online application form using this link:http://www.iita.org/irs-online-application
Closing Date: 11th July 2013
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.