The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified PDF Molecular Geneticist to be based at AfricaRice’s headquarters in Cotonou, Benin.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
The PDF Molecular Geneticist is responsible for the development of drought tolerant and high yielding varieties for Africa through the use of molecular approaches. She/he should have ample knowledge and experience in molecular biology genetics, and in drought physiology. She/he will work closely with physiologists and breeders and will report to Molecular biologist.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The PDF Molecular Geneticist shall be involved in a project aiming at identifying QTLs responsible for drought tolerance and eventually developing drought tolerant breeding lines using marker aided recurrent selection (MARS) approach.
Specifically, she/he will be responsible for:
- Lead genotyping of the MARS population for drought tolerance in lowland systems in collaboration with the molecular biologist and other AfricaRice staff, in particular the eco-physiologist and NARS partners;
- Assist NARS in collaboration with AfricaRice scientists involved in the Rice CI project and supervise field trials and collection of data related to yield under drought condition of the PARS population in the field and under controlled conditions;
- Conduct analysis of genotypic and phenotypic data collected with the support of the biometrician;
- Perform QTL analysis to identify genes associated to yield under drought and yield potential itself. Establish databases of phenotypic and genotypic information on yield under drought and yield
- potential in collaboration with biometrician;
- Assist the molecular biologist in supporting staff responsible for analysis of genotypic data using analytical software;
- Assist the molecular biologist in donor reporting and publications;
- Publish papers in international refereed journals and conferences;
- Undertake any other activities related to molecular and genotyping activities as deemed necessary by the molecular biologist and the Program Leader.
Education: a PhD degree in plant genetics, breeding or molecular biology
Working Experience: More than five years work experience in rice research, preferably in Africa
Key Competencies Required: publication record in international peer reviewed journals; a proven ability to work efficiently and proactively as a member of multi-disciplinary team.
Terms and Conditions
- This is an internationally recruited position. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered.
- AfricaRice provides a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French with agood working knowledge of the other language.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience, language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply online for this position, please click on the following web link:
Applications that are not sent on-line should be forwarded to the following address:
Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031, Cotonou, Benin Republic.
Applications will be considered until 10th October 2012 at 17:00 hrs.
AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations, and encourages applications from women and developing country professionals.