Job Ref: GSS/15/CS/SEPTEMBER/2012
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the ICT Manager, the Senior Network and Systems Administrator will manage the LAN.
Specifically, she/he is responsible for:
- Build, configure, maintain, upgrade and install IT infrastructure devices and software, for servers and/or network communications equipment for all units throughout the organization
- Implement IT infrastructure solutions as per IT Strategic Plan
- Manage network addresses and supervise VLAN modifications and updates
- Administrate Windows servers, email systems, security systems, databases, business applications, corporate applications, collaboration tools, and manage user accounts
- Plan and implement backups in accordance with the backup policy
- Analyze network security, manage network monitoring systems and audit user access to IT systems (password, encryption, VPN )
- Support specific emerging technologies specific to the various Research disciplines.
- Provide second-level support on infrastructure issues to business units throughout the
- organization, and report to the IT Manager when a third-level support is needed.
- Liaise with outsourced infrastructure suppliers regarding infrastructure changes.
- Identify needs and assist in infrastructure hardware and software acquisition.
- Research and test future technologies to incorporate into the IT Strategic Plan
- Monitor and control licenses for software products installed throughout organization as required.
- Send a network working report including availability and performance, on a regular basis
- Provide minor to moderately complex server and network maintenance
- Collaborate with the IT Manager on the management of ICT Projects
Education: Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
Working Experience: At least 3 years’ experience in a similar position
Key Competencies Required:
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft infrastructure and products :
- Windows Server 2003/2008 (installation, Disaster recovery, maintenance)
- Exchange 2007/2010
- Active directory management
- MS ISA Server/TMG
- Microsoft desktop XP/7
- Microsoft Active Directory certified
- MS Exchange 2007/2010 and Cisco Certifications are assets
- Microsoft certifications would be assets.
- Knowledge of virtual environments such as VMWare and HyperV
- Working knowledge of routing protocols including BGP4, OSPF, RIP, EIGRP and knowledge of the Internet concepts and routing architecture is desired.
- Extensive knowledge of layers 2 – 7 switching concepts is required.
- Working knowledge of load balancing technologies, firewalls, IDS, and DNS is desired
- Strong knowledge of Cisco routers is highly desired.
- Working knowledge of VSAT technology is an asset.
- Ability to learn and respond to demands in a fast-paced, highly technical environment and to manage multiple projects and responsibilities is required.
- Ability to follow problem/change management and other internal processes and escalate issues to management and vendors.
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment, as well as, independently is required.
- Good organizational, time management and service delivery skills are required.
- Ability to identify and resolve network outages on the LAN or WAN.
Terms and Conditions
- This is a regionally recruited General Support Staff (GSS) position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience, language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply online for this position, please click on the following web link:
Applications that are not sent on-line should be forwarded to the following address:
Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031, Cotonou, Benin Republic.
Deadline: Applications will be considered up to 11th October 2012
AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations, and encourages applications from women and developing country professionals.