- Company: Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) Ethiopia
- Location: Oromia, Ethiopia
- State: Bale
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Ethiopia
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an international Italian NGO established in 1965. Since then COOPI has been undertaking activities to help and empower the poor and needy in different countries. COOPI Ethiopia started its operation in 1995 and its activities include water resources development, Food Security, Human and Veterinary Health, Education, Agriculture, Hygiene and Sanitation Promotion & Awareness and Capacity Building.
COOPI based on the sub grant secured from Italian Embassy is currently implementing a 24-months project titled StemmingIrregular Migration in Oromia Regional State by Strengthening the Durum Wheat Value Chain in Sinana and Adaba Districts.
To this extent, COOPI is currently looking to hire Cooperative and Development Expert/Assistant project Manager (1),Senior Agricultural expert (1), Junior Agricultural extension (1), Value Chain expert (1) and Social Mobilizers (2) who will play a key role in the cooperative and development, agriculture, value chain and community development part of the project, to contribute for achieving the project overall objective.
The Senior Agricultural expert will lead the project agriculture related activities; Support the wheat and Tomato production along with provision of training and Technical assistance (TA) on agronomy practice. Moreover, he/she will support the targeted cooperatives and cooperative union’s management committees and staffs to undertake sound Wheat and Tomato practice at the cooperative member farmers’ level.
The position holder shall be responsible for the technical backstopping of the producers, collectors and distributors in the durum value chain. Activities related to this value chain actors will be planned and implemented under the supervision of this person.
Project Implementation and Technical Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall implementation, and monitoring of the agriculture sector in line with the project Activity, Expected results and objective;
- Provide inputs and technical feedback to allow clear modalities of the project implementation related to the Agricultural activity is developed. This has to be done in consultation with all stake holders, in line with relevant national and internationally recognized standards of accountability, and in collaboration with Project Managers and Assistant Project Manager.
- Provide support on the project agricultural sector strategy and modality of implementation, develop and submit data inputs on regular basis to APM;
- Ensure agricultural activities are well-implemented by taking an active role in project work planning, and carry out the implementation of this activities;
- Coordinate and supervise project activities related to the agricultural sector in close collaboration with the responsible project staffs, relevant woreda line offices, targeted Cooperative and beneficiaries; ensure flow of communication is maintained with APM and PM.
- Organize/facilitate the project agricultural extension training activities, prepare training manuals, curricula and training reports for the project agricultural activities.
- Responsible for organizing experience sharing visits for targeted beneficiaries and disseminate good practices;
- Guide the Junior agricultural extension expert and ensure that he/she is empowered to perform duties as required by ToRs.
- Responsible for provision of on farm technical assistance to project beneficiaries and assist Junior Agricultural Extension and/or local counterparts in providing technical assistance to the selected beneficiaries in Agricultural activities;
- Coordinate and supervise Wheat and Tomato production agronomy practices of the targeted beneficiaries in close collaboration with relevant woreda line offices, members of the targeted cooperatives and private sector partners;
- Responsible for collection of updates and information of sector reports (monthly, quarterly, and final technical as well as activity progress report) in accordance to the rules of the Donor, Regions and COOPI; Deliver it to the APM for consolidation within the 20th of each month;
- In coordination with the APM, provide inputs, and as per direction of the Project Manager; lead or coordinate agricultural sector rapid assessment (including Food Security, Livelihoods, etc.), organize and conduct pre-and post-KAP survey and compile report of findings and evaluate the impact of the project towards communities;
- Ensure that Beneficiary update and documentation are compiled as necessary and handover to APM;
- Conduct a project impact research in the project areas, share with all the concerned stake holders and give accurate recommendations to be used as action plan for further action;
- Anticipate challenges in project implementation, identify solutions, and work with the team in problem solving;
- Logistic management of the Sector in accordance to COOPI Project Management directions;
Representation and coordination:
- Under the indication of the PM and the APM, collaborate with relevant woreda line offices and the targeted groups in selection of lead farmers and facilitate the dissemination of their good practices;
- Take part to coordination meetings with local and international partners; when needed and agreed with the Project manager and in any case without power of decision;
- Collaborate with field offices, Area Offices / Country Offices in the identification of needs, project ideas and develop project proposals;
- Be responsible for continuous and smooth flow of information between the Agriculture component and the Project Management (APM and PM) and ensure continuous and smooth coordination with the Value chain staff (value chain expert and APM).
- Other Duties related to the position
Duration of the contract:
- 18 months with possibility of extension
Salary and benefit:
- Competitive Salary, including other benefits based on the organization salary grid and candidates experience.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
- Msc/BSc degree in Agriculture, Agricultural economics, Agricultural extension with work experience in Wheat and Tomato production;
- At least 5 years professional experience in Agriculture development, Agricultural economics, livelihood, community/rural development sector. Experience on Wheat and Tomato Value chain in private or development sector is highly preferred;
- Experience facilitating relationships between Nongovernmental organization and government;
- Strong skills in technical knowledge;
- Ability to work well within a team and take responsibility to deliver results;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Ability and willingness to live and work in harsh and difficult conditions in an area of potential insecurity;
- Knowledge of working area and the local language is an advantage;
- Respect culture, believe of diverse ethnic communities;
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit all their academic credential, CV and meaningful motivation letter by clearly the title of the position applied for stating and why s/he wishes to work for COOPI, by email e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person to COOPI Addis Abeba Coordination and Bale Goba area coordination offices with sealed envelope of the hard copy documents.
Application deadline: 10 days starting from the date of announcement
COOPERAZIONE INTERNAZIONALE (COOPI)
P.O.Box: 2204, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
COOPI office Addis Ababa, Yeka Sub city- Kebele 8 – House N.New – Ethiopia
NB: Only short-listed candidates who meet the requirements will be contacted. Women are highly encouraged to apply.