The Africa Rice center (AfricaRice) is looking for a highly qualified Research Assiatant Remote Sensing for agricultural applications to join its remote sensing and GIS unit. It is a GSS (General Support Staff) level position based in cotonou, Benin.
Job Ref. GSS/14/RD/JULY/2012
The Afrca Rice center (AfricaRice) is a leading pan-African research organization with a mission to contribute to poverty alleviation and food security in Africa through research, development and partnership activities aimed at increasing the productivity and profitability of the rice sector while ensuring the sustainability of the farming environment. AfricaRice is an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries. It is also member of CGIAR Consortium. AfricaRice is temporarily headquatered in Benin.
He/she will attend to all activities related to Remote Sensing & GIS at AfricaRice and is responsible and reports to the Remote Sensing and GIS specialist. The Research Assistant will:
- Perform Remote Sensing and GIS analysis in the field of water resources and agriculture.
- Assist in mapping rice in Africa.
- Develop methods to map and classify (a-) biotic stresses in rice-growing ecologies.
- Assist in preparing presentations and publication of research results.
- Assist in developing research proposals.
- Undertake any other duties as requested by the Remote Sensing and GIS specialist.
Requirements: The successful candidates should have:
- An MSc in Geography, Ecology or Agriculture with a specialization in remote sensing applications, or an MSc in Geo-information Science (remote sensing) with a strong background in agriculture and environment;
- At least two years post MSc experience in using remote sensing software like ERDAS imagine or ENVi;
- Proven experience is handling large land use data sets;
- Experience in the use of satellite images including IKONOS/QuickBird, Spot, Landsat, Aster and MODIS;
- Strong analytical skills as well as knowledge of spatial statistics;
- Pro-active and original way of thinking, and
- Communication skill in either English or French, with a good working knowledge of the other, as well as the ability to work effectively as a member of a multi-displinary team.
Terms and Conditions:
- This is a regional recruited position and the appointment is for two years with possibility for renewal.
- AfrcaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, diplomas obtained, professional experience, language skills (French/English), the names and addresses (including telephone/fax/email) of the three referees.
How to Apply
Applications will be considered up to August 05, 2012
AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations, and encourages applications from women and developing country professionals. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.