IITA Recruitment: Research Associate – Maize Breeding 2 year renewable contract (2 positions)
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Research Associate – Maize Breeding. This position is funded by African Development Bank (AfDB) under the Support to Agricultural Research for Development of Strategic Crops in Africa (SARD-SC).
The Research Associate will work as a member of the SARD-SC Project team in Nigeria and provide technical support to the team for effective development and deployment of improved maize genotypes
- Assists in execution of maize trials
- Assist with the seed production and maintenance of maize
- Supervision of on-station and on-farm trials
- Works with other project staff in capacity building of public and private sector partners to develop and disseminate maize genotypes
- Provide supports to national program staff and national partners for field trial management and data management and analysis,
- Collation and analyses of data from experiments
- Contributes to publications and presentation of research outputs
- Any other responsibility as may be assigned by the supervisor
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- M.Sc in Plant Breeding, Crop physiology, Agronomy or related field.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in national/international organizations
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office and econometric software such as STATA and SPSS
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, prioritise and organise workload
- Ability to take initiative and work under pressure and willingness to work for longer hours where necessary
- Good team spirit and also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties
- Able to work effectively both in teams and independently
General information: Initial appointment is for two years. Subsequent renewal of the contract will be decided based on research outputs and productivity, and continued need for the position.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application:
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae, the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work. Evidence of current remuneration package and photocopies of credentials, to IITA website.
Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/nrs-online-application.
Closing Date: 28th May 2013