ICRISAT seeks applications from dynamic Indian Nationals for the position of Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist (Pigeonpea Breeding). The position is based at ICRISAT- Patancheru, Telangana
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
- To develop improved breeding lines including parental lines for hybrids and hybrids in pigeonpea using integrated breeding approaches
- Plan and execute experiments in pigeonpea breeding
- Use breeding management system for management of pedigree, experiments and experimental data; analyze, summarize, and interpret the data of the experiments;
- Prepare reports and papers for publication in reputed journals; prepare project proposals for donor funding
- Interact with partners and collaborate with experts from other disciplines and end users (farmers, traders, consumers, etc.) to add value to the crop and enhance livelihood opportunities for the poor in the SAT
- Candidate should have a Ph.D. degree from a reputed university in plant breeding or plant genetics with a minimum 8 years (for Senior Scientist) or 13 years (for Principal Scientist) of post-doctoral research experience as plant breeder at a research institute/university/private sector company.
- Knowledge of quantitative genetics theory and its application in practical plant breeding of self-pollinated/cross-pollinated crops
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of breeding of self-pollinated and cross-pollinated crops including hybrid breeding is essential
- Working knowledge of genomics-assisted breeding and breeding data management system is desired
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential, knowledge of other languages will be an asset
- The candidate should have an aptitude to work as a member of interdisciplinary team in a multicultural environment, and should have the ability to interact with partner organizations and donors.
This is a Scientific and Managerial Group (SMG) cadre position, initially for a period of three years, renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institutes continuing need for the position
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 17 June 2018, with their latest Resume, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.