Closure Date: 05/Oct/2018, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FAO Representative Office in the Kyrgyz Republic
Primary Location: Kyrgyzstan-Bishkek
FAO Representative Office in the Kyrgyz Republic, headed by FAO Representative, assists the Government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and address malnutrition, reduce rural poverty and contribute to rural employment, and helps to develop agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way.
FAO Representative Office in the Kyrgyz Republic works with a number of counterpart ministries and state agencies, including but not limited to the Ministry of Agriculture, Food Industry and Melioration, the Ministry of Labour and Social Development, the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Emergency Situations and the State Agency on Environmental Protection and Forestry. FAO Representation is based in Bishkek with offices in Jalal-Abad, Karakol and Balykchy.
National Nutrition Specialist reports to the FAO Representative in the Kyrgyz Republic under the technical support of Social Policies and Rural Institutions Division and Nutrition and Food Systems Division.
Provides technical support to nutrition-related technical activities carried out by Representative Office in the Kyrgyz Republic and in priority through the Project GCP/GLO/674/RUS “Developing Capacity for Strengthening Food Security and Nutrition in Selected Countries of the Caucasus and Central Asia” in the Kyrgyz Republic;
Tasks and responsibilities
The incumbent will be primarily responsible for supporting the delivery and evaluation of two pilots – Cash+ and School Gardening – under the Project GCP/GLO/674/RUS “Developing Capacity for Strengthening Food Security and Nutrition in Selected Countries of the Caucasus and Central Asia” in the Kyrgyz Republic and provide inputs for other project outputs.
Specifically, the National Nutrition Specialist will:
- Provide technical support to the implementation, assessment, monitoring and evaluation of the pilots for nutrition-related issues;
- Design related data collection tools and assist in their implementation;
- Supervise the performance of the service provider and the technical quality of activities implement ted under the LoA for nutrition education, providing the necessary technical assistance when needed;
- Advocate with stakeholders on the necessity to carry out and roll out nutrition education interventions in order to positively influence nutritional outcomes, beyond the direct distribution of inputs;
- Provide technical assistance to project’s key ministries (e.g. Ministries of Labour and Social Development, Agriculture, Health, Education and Science, and Finance) for the development of policies, programs and legislations according to the project work plan, in relation with nutrition;
- Facilitate multi-sectoral coordination and policy dialogue around nutrition, including nutrition-sensitive social protection and nutrition-sensitive agriculture, including with other country offices and foreign Government counterparts in the context of the present inter-regional TCP;
- Provide technical support and content for the development of communication materials for mainstreaming, advocacy and visibility campaigns of the project in the area of nutrition;
- Prepare specifications/work plans for bidding documents and contracts for procurement of services and works at national level as required; ensure the quality of timely deliveries and the technical reports through the direct supervision and close collaboration with the contracted partners;
- Meet reporting requirements and contribute to monthly and six-monthly progress reports, and a final report outlining project results, recommendations and impact, and other technical reports/publications as required;
- Assist the National Project Coordinator in organizing different missions, with respect to both technical and operational aspects;
- Perform any other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in nutrition, agriculture or other relevant fields;
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in program assessments, policy development & analysis, project management, monitoring & evaluation, advisory services, technical assistance and/or capacity building, in the nutrition sector
- Working (written and oral) knowledge of Russian and Kyrgyz, knowledge of English is an advantage.
READ: Millions of people face food shortages in the Horn of Africa
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience with governmental and/or non-governmental institutions in Kyrgyzstan;
- Experience and expertise in the design, implementation and/or assessment of nutrition programmes;
- Knowledge of nutrition and food security issues and concepts;
- Strong knowledge of food security and nutrition developments in Kyrgyzstan, including the political, institutional and socio-economic contexts;
- Ability to guide work and liaise effectively with subcontractors and counterparts involved in the project;
- Strong command of the MS Office package and internet search;
- High sense of responsibility, resourcefulness, willingness to take initiative, excellent communication skills and team spirit are important assets.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.