Closure Date: 03/Oct/2018, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: REUTD
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Home-Based
The Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (REU) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programs, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. REU also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region and monitors the level of programme implementation. The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
International Consultants and Personal Service Providers (PSAs) represent an important source of expertise for FAO, making their specialist contributions in the achievement of the Organization’s strategic objectives and regional initiatives. For FAO to be able to attract and employ the best possible experts in a wide range of technical areas, a new competitive selection process was introduced in November 2017. This process will create a roster of candidates with necessary criteria, which can be called upon when their expertise is required for activities at country, regional or global level.
This advertised position will support agricultural policy analysis (quantitative and qualitative research) within FAU REU technical cooperation under two of the three regional initiatives, namely: (1) Empowering smallholders and family farms for improved rural livelihoods and poverty reduction and (2) Improving agrifood trade and market integration.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Regional Representative for Europe and Central Asia, REU, the expert will work under the overall supervision of the Assistant Director General of REU and the direct technical supervision of REU Policy Officer. The expert will collaborate with other FAO consultants, professionals and administrative staff in REU Office and FAO Headquarters, as well as FAO staff in country offices of the region.
The International Consultant or PSA.SBS will work as part of a closely collaborating team to provide policy advice and technical assistance (based on quantitative and qualitative research), including capacity-building activities, that leads to the improvements in the implementation of agriculture and rural development policy in the region. More specifically the International Consultant or PSA SBS will contribute in project implementation, formulation of projects and the work plans, reporting, capacity development on agricultural policy analysis; preparation of discussion and position papers and preparation of the guidelines and the recommendations.
Tasks and responsibilities
In general for PSA SBS contractors, designated tasks and responsibilities will normally include a number of the following elements:
- Conduct research, analysis and contribute to the agricultural policy analysis, i.e. policy impact assessment and policy monitoring in the countries of REU region;
- Support assessments, studies and initiatives and provide technical backstopping to field projects related to agriculture and rural development policy design and implementation;
- Contribute to appraisal and capacity development of the Ministries and other relevant national/local staff related to agriculture and rural development policy design, impact assessment and monitoring; including preparation of training materials and information materials for discussion and awareness raising;
- Formulate concept notes and projects related to agriculture and rural development policy planning, monitoring and evaluation;
- Participate in multi-disciplinary teams
- Collaborate in, provide technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools that support agricultural policy analysis, policy planning and implementation in the region;
- Review and provide updates on agricultural and rural development policy developments in the region and advice on sectorial support measures that FAO REU could undertake in the region;
- Promote knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations;
- Contribute and co-organize policy seminars, capacity building workshops and networking activities related to agricultural and rural development policy with partners;
- Perform other related duties as and when required.
For International Consultants, the tasks and responsibilities include the above listed and additionally the following elements:
- Lead working groups/teams in collaboration with other departments and agencies on work groups and committees in the development of an integrated and coherent approach to agriculture and rural development policy implementation, drawing on the corporate approaches and regional delivery mechanisms such as the Regional Initiatives;
- Provide technical guidance to field projects related to agriculture and rural development policy design and implementation;
- Provide technical leadership in the capacity development of the Ministries and other relevant national/local staff related to agriculture and rural development policy design, impact assessment and monitoring; including preparation of training materials and information materials for discussion and awareness raising;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree (for Consultants) / University degree (only for PSA) in agriculture, agricultural economics, rural development, economics or related fields;
- At least ten years of relevant analytical and institutional experience;
- Working knowledge of English or Russian and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (for Consultants). Working knowledge of English or Russian (for PSAs).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or technical area;
- Good interpersonal communications skills;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the formulation and implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Agriculture and Rural Development Programs in EU member states, pre-accession countries, other REU region countries.
- Extent and relevance of institutional experience in the formulation and implementation of policies and programmes for agriculture, subsectors or rural development;
- Extent and relevance of experience in project and program management; and
- Knowledge of the UN system, procedures and operational activities would be an advantage.
- Relevant experience in rural development policy evaluation and monitoring; and/or agricultural economics and community development;
- Relevant knowledge of EU CAP and rural development policy in EU, accession countries and/or agricultural policies of other REU region countries.
- Relevant institutional experience.
- Working experience in Europe and Central Asia region
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.