FAO Jobs: International Soil Specialist in Moldova
Job Posting: 15/May/2019
Closure Date: 05/Jun/2019, 9:59:00 PM
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Primary Location: Moldova, Republic of
Duration: 25 days (approx. 18 days in 2 mission, 7 days desk work)
FAO in partnership with the Government of Moldova is implementing a Technical Co-operation Project (TCP/MOL/3608) – Strengthening the capacity of smallholders in berry production. The overall objective of this project is to strengthen the capacity of smallholders in berry production in Moldova through introduction and demonstration of the modern berries production technologies, and trainings of the national extension service providers, and farmers. Applications are invited for the position of an International Soil Specialist (ISS) to provide the technical support towards the implementation of the TCP/MOL/3608. This consultancy work has a duration of 25 working days over 6 months with two technical missions to Moldova of about 20 days, and 5 days deskwork.
The International Soil Specialist will work under overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Moldova, the technical supervision of the Plant Production and Protection Division (AGP), and FAO-REU Plant Production and Protection Officer.
Soil and nutrient testing and analysis, Trainings and Farmers’ Field Schools on soil management, and development of extension materials
Tasks and responsibilities
The International Soil Specialist will be responsible for the followings tasks;
– Review and assess the soil problems affecting berry production in Moldova
– Provide on-the-job training to national counterpart staff and farmers and organize practical demonstrations on soil testing, analysis, and management practices;
– Act as a resource person in training courses, particularly to help improve the knowledge and skills of national staff in soil management;
– Prepare extension materials on using of soil testing kit and improve soil management practices;
– Perform any other duties deemed necessary for the successful execution of the project;
– Prepare and submit a mission report after each mission
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced University Degree in soil science or natural resource management
• At least 5 years’ experience in soil testing analysis and management
• Working knowledge of English and strong computer, report writing, and presentation skills.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical/Functional Skills• Extent and relevance experience in soil and nutrient management and conducting Training of Trainers, and Farmers Field Schools
• Demonstrated strong technical and advisory and communication, team building, computer and report writing skills.
• Ability to speak the local language will be considered an advantage.
• Some technical skills in pilot demonstration and farmers field schools and working with communities
• Strong computer, report writing, and presentation skills.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]