FAO Jobs: International Plant Protection Specialist
Job Posting: 15/May/2019
Closure Date: 05/Jun/2019, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: Regional Office for Europe & Central Asia (REU)
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Primary Location: Moldova, Republic of
FAO in partnership with the Government of Moldova is implementing a Technical Co-operation Project (TCP/MOL/3608) – Strengthening the capacity of smallholders in berry production. The overall objective of this project is to strengthen the capacity of smallholders in berry production in Moldova through introduction and demonstration of the modern berries production technologies, and trainings of the national extension service providers, and farmers. Applications are invited for the position of an International Plant Protection Specialist (IPPS) to provide the technical support towards the implementation of the TCP/MOL/3608. This consultancy work has a duration of 30 working days over 6 months with two technical missions to Moldova of about 20 days, and 10 days desk work.
The International Plant Protection Specialist will work under overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Moldova, the technical supervision of the Plant Production and Protection Division (AGP), and FAO-REU Plant Production and Protection Officer.
Plant protection, Integrated plant pests and disease control and management. Field Schools, and development of extension materials
Tasks and responsibilities
The International Plant Protection Specialist will be responsible for the followings tasks;
– Review and assess the plant pests and disease problems affecting berry production in Moldova
– Review and revise the existing pest lists of berry fruits crops inclusive of general surveillance;
– Advise on integrated pest control measures and provide on-the-job training to national counterpart staff and farmers in the pilot demonstrations and Farmers Field School with the focus on IPM;
– Develop brochures and extension materials on major pests and diseases control for berry fruits.
– demonstrate the techniques and procedures for plant pests and diseases surveys, identification, and diagnostics in the training programme of trainers and curricula development.
– Perform any other duties deemed necessary for the successful execution of the project;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced University Degree in horticulture, agriculture sciences and plant protection
• At least 5 years’ experience in integrated pest control and management on berry fruit
• Working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Extent and relevance experience in implementation fruit production integrated pest management and pilot demonstrations and conducting Training of Trainers, and Farmers Field Schools
• Demonstrated strong technical and advisory and communication, team building, computer and report writing skills.
• Ability to speak the local language will be considered an advantage
• Some technical skills on IPM for pilot demonstration and farmers field schools and working with communities
• strong computer, report writing, and presentation skills.
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]