Applications from qualified women as well as from qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
PROFESSIONAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO: VA TCSP-820-12-PRJ
POSITION TITLE: Agricultural Economist (Institutions) FAO Subregional Office for West Africa (SFW)
GRADE LEVEL: P-3
DUTY STATION: Abuja, Nigeria (with possible transfer to Lomé) 12 months unidentified 1E02
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the general supervision of the Subregional Coordinator, SFW, the direct supervision of the project’s Chief Technical Adviser, the joint technical guidance of the Chief, Policy Assistance Support Service (TCSP) and the Chief, Africa Service of the Investment Centre (TCIA), and in close collaboration with the Policy Officer based in Rome and FAO experts in the Regional Office for Africa, RAF,Accra, the incumbent will contribute to the accelerated implementation of CAADP in West Africa. In particular, the incumbent will:
- Prepare a first draft of an inception report and organize a workshop to update and refine project activities and work plan; participate in the institutional capacity needs assessment of the ECOWAS Regional Agriculture and Food Agency (RAAF) and the preparation of proposals for its strengthening ;
- Identify priorityintervention areas for investment planning under the ECOWAS Regional Agriculture Investment Programme (RAIP-ECOWAS/CAADP) and organize training seminars and orientation workshops to enhance analytical skills and methodological understanding of key ECOWAS/RAAF staff, national experts and regional consultants; contribute to the preparation of terms of reference for individual members of the consultants engaged within the framework of the overall expected project outputs;
- Review the policy environment within which the regional investment projects will be implemented as well as prepare policy briefs; participate in the preparation of regional investment projects in the context of RAIP; organize knowledge exchange events/workshops or peer review events, subject to needs, to discuss individual investment project formulation and to solicit inputs from key partners as well as to promote information exchange and facilitate networking of RAIP stakeholders; assist in the review and finalization of RAIPs in six countries including in refining the investment plans and assessing the policy adjustments needed; and perform other duties as required.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Candidates should meet the following:
- Advanced degree in Agricultural or Development Economics, Economics, Rural Development, or related field
- Five years of relevant experience in the formulation of Agricultural and Rural Development policies and investment programmes including in developing countries, especially Africa Working knowledge of English and French
SELECTION CRITERIA: Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- Extent and relevance of experience in formulating agricultural and rural development policies and investment programmes and projects Depth of analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing Familiarity with issues affecting food security and agriculture development in the ECOWAS region and Africa at large Willingness to travel frequently outside the duty station.
- Please note that all candidates should possess computer/word processing skills and should be capable of working with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://icsc.un.org/
TO APPLY: Carefully read and follow the Guidelines to applicants
Send your application to:
Chief, Policy Assistance Support Service,
TCSP FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome ITALY
Fax No: +39 06 5754657 E-mail: [email protected]
Application Closing Date: Friday, 31st August 2012
Please note that FAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Director-General and may be assigned to any activities or office of the organization. FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT