Post: Senior Systems Administrator‐Deputy ICT Manager
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Senior Systems Administrator‐Deputy ICT Manager to strengthen its Information and Communication Technology Unit at AfricaRice, Cotonou.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
Under the direct supervision of the ICT Manager, the Senior Systems Administrator‐Deputy
ICT Manager will manage the LAN and the Servers for daily operations.
Specifically, s/he is responsible for:
- Build, configure, maintain, upgrade and install IT infrastructure devices and software, for servers and/or network communications equipment for all units throughout the organization;
- Implement IT infrastructure solutions;
- Manage network addresses and supervise VLAN modifications and updates;
- Administrate Windows servers, email systems, security systems, databases, business applications, corporate applications, collaboration tools, and manage user accounts.
- This includes systems hosted at Headquarters, in the cloud as well as at regional offices;
- Plan and implement disaster recovery in accordance with the ICT Business Continuity
- Plan; ensure communication;
- Analyse security, manage monitoring systems and audit user access to IT systems (password, encryption, VPN);
- Support specific emerging technologies specific to the various Research disciplines;
- Provide second‐level support on infrastructure issues to business units throughout the organization, and report to the IT Manager when a third‐level support is needed;
- Liaise with outsourced infrastructure suppliers regarding infrastructure changes;
- Identify needs and assist in infrastructure hardware and software acquisition;
- Research and test future technologies to incorporate into the IT Strategic Plan;
- Monitor and control licenses for software products installed throughout organization as required;
- Send a network working report including availability and performance, on a regular basis;
- Provide minor to moderately complex server and network maintenance;
- Collaborate with the IT Manager on the management of ICT Projects;
- Resolve open help desk tickets and verifies all issues were properly resolved and documented;
- Her/his role will include a variety of tasks: conceiving and implementing new system deployment; administering networks, remote administration, training and supporting end‐users.
Education: Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent Work Experience: At least 5 years’ experience in a similar position
Key Competencies Required:
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft infrastructure and products:
- Windows Server 2003/2008 (installation, Disaster recovery, maintenance)
- Exchange 2007/2010
- Active directory management
- MS ISA Server/TMG
- Microsoft desktop XP/7
- Microsoft Active Directory certified
- MS Exchange 2007/2010 and Cisco Certifications are assets
- Microsoft and Cisco certifications would be assets.
- Knowledge of virtual environments such as VMWare and HyperV
- Experience in managing cloud hosted systems including distributed Active Directory system
- Working knowledge of routing protocols including BGP4, OSPF, RIP, EIGRP and knowledge of the Internet concepts and routing architecture is desired.
- Extensive knowledge of layers 2 ‐ 7 switching concepts is required.
- Working knowledge of load balancing technologies, firewalls, IDS, and DNS is desired
- Strong knowledge of Linux is an asset.
- Working knowledge of VSAT technology is an asset.
- Ability to learn and respond to demands in a fast‐paced, highly technical environment and to manage multiple projects and responsibilities is required.
- Ability to follow problem/change management and other internal processes and escalate issues to management and vendors.
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment, as well as, independently is required.
- Good organizational, time management and service delivery skills are required.
- Ability to identify and resolve network outages on the LAN or WAN.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Excellent customer service skills:
- Clear and professional communication
- Ability to communicate technical information to non‐technical personnel
- strong documentation skills
- Service attitude is a must;
- Demonstrated ability to contribute thoughtful planning, careful execution, and effective teamwork;
- Ability to collaborate with other IT professionals and, as needed, various external consultants/vendors;
- Well organized – ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously;
- Capable of working both independently or within a team;
- Must be self‐driven and able to work with minimal supervision;
- Flexibility to adapt to varying environments.
The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
- This is a regionally recruited position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: day, month, year), language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply for this position, please send your applications:
To: A.Kpadonou@cgiar.org with the vacancy reference in subject: GSS/29/CS/2013/06
Or to the following address: Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031, Cotonou, Benin Republic.
Deadline: Applications will be considered until Sunday, July 21, 2013.
AfricaRice is an equal opportunity employer. AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations and particularly welcomes applications from women and developing countries.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.