Post: Electronic Engineer
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Electronic Engineer to strengthen its Information and Communication Technology Unit at AfricaRice, Cotonou.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
Under the direct supervision of the ICT Manager, the Electronic Engineer will be responsible for implementing and managing unified telecommunication services pertaining to voice, data transmission and video. S/he will ensure connectivity to all AfricaRice locations by proactive and efficient management of the multi‐user and multi‐location LAN/WAN. S/he will also be responsible for hardware maintenance and repair.
- Specifically, s/he will be responsible for managing Internet connectivity and telecommunication infrastructures on each and between AfricaRice sites, implementing and managing an analog/IP telephony and video conferencing systems and ensuring good performance of campus networks at AfricaRice locations. S/he will:
- Take overall ownership of networks and telecom issues and problems, and ensure their prompt resolution. Responsibilities include the analysis of network components, upgrades/changes, policies management, assessing the AfricaRice current and future LAN/WAN/Wireless/analog telephony/VoIP/Mobile needs, overseeing the development, implementation, and optimization of unified communications systems;
- Provide project management and systems integration for video, voice and data communication systems; be responsible for the overall supervision of installation and the management of the telecommunication networks; Specializations include voice transmission, data communications, TCP‐IP networks, Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN), cable‐to‐modem communication, RF (including satellite) communication capabilities, electromagnetic wave communication systems and power systems;
- Troubleshoot electronic devices down to the component level to determine root cause, recommend corrective action and/or remedy of any malfunction, i.e. perform required repairs to faulty computers, network switches/routers, satellite hardware, UPSes, etc. Should be able to read and interpret schematics and diagrams as part of troubleshooting;
- Liaise with vendors, suppliers, service providers and external resources and monitoring contractual obligations and performance delivery;
- Ensure good management of telecommunication licenses and frequencies assigned by telecommunication authorities of the countries where AfricaRice operates;
- Collaborate with the IT Manager on the management of ICT Projects.
Education: Master’s degree in Telecommunications or Computer Science or equivalent.
Relevant networking certifications are assets.
Work Experience: At least 3 years’ experience in a similar position
Key Competencies Required:
- Wireless networks
- Hands‐on experience with wireless networks in all frequency ranges (HF, VHF, UHF, wireless LAN, VSAT) including system integration, operational and regulatory/licensing issues.
- Broad knowledge of ICT products and services, both in IP networking as well as wireless communications (data and voice)
- Experience with convergent data (LAN/WAN) and voice (VOIP) projects is an advantage.
- VoIP telephony experience to include the following:
- Implementation, management and troubleshooting of IP PBX
- Physical connection of circuits and analog lines
- Network design using managed L2 & L3 switches
- VLAN and QoS configuration
- WAN design and implementation for VoIP services
- Technical writing, proposals and project planning
- Audio and Video conferencing
- Good knowledge of audio and video conference technologies, specifically on Polycom hardware
- Knowledge of satellite communications and Wide Area Networking equipment
- Hardware repair and maintenance
- Manually examination and repair of electronic devices, network equipment, computer hardware and peripheral components.
- Functionality tests and assessment of problems by operating computer systems or related or using small handheld tools such as screwdrivers, voltmeters, etc.
- Di‐assembling and re‐assembling of electronic devices, computer components and parts.
- Read and review technical support manuals or other materials.
- Significant administrative knowledge of:
- Hardware (including fiber and UTP cables, routers, switches, etc.)
- Network protocols TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS; knowledge of BGP and MPLS is a plus
- Troubleshooting LAN/WAN routing and connectivity issues
- Bandwidth management tools and tips
- Backup hardware and procedures as well as disaster recovery
- Internet firewalls and security
- Computer configuration/installation
- Network administration experience in the following environment:
- Windows Server 2008
- Active Directory 2008
- Windows 7 Workstations
- Knowledge of current technological developments and trends.
- Working knowledge and experience with:
- Internet email systems and protocols
- Microsoft Exchange (locally hosted & remotely hosted)
- Cloud Computing
The ideal candidate must have:
Excellent customer service skills:
- Ability to communicate technical information to non‐technical personnel
- Strong documentation skills
- Service attitude is a must.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute thoughtful planning, careful execution, and effective teamwork.
- Ability to collaborate with other IT professionals and, as needed, various external consultants/vendors.
- Well organized – ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously.
- Capable of working both independently or on a team.
- Must be self‐driven and able to work with little supervision.
- Flexibility to adapt to varying environments.
The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
This is a regionally recruited position.
AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: day, month, year), language skills(French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone /fax / email) of three referees.
To apply for this position, please send your applications:
To: [email protected] with the vacancy reference in subject: GSS/30/CS/2013/06
Or to the following address: Head, Human Resources Unit, Africa Rice, 01 B.P. 2031, Cotonou, Benin Republic
Or online at
Deadline: Applications will be considered until Sunday, July 21st, 2013.
AfricaRice is an equal opportunity employer. AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations and particularly welcomes applications from women and developing countries.