Post: Systems Analyst
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Systems Analyst to strengthen its Information and Communication Technology Unit at AfricaRice, Cotonou.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
Under the direct supervision of the ICT Manager, the incumbent will research problems in applications being used by AfricaRice, recommend solutions, and coordinate development to meet business or other requirements. As an applications manager, he or she will be in charge of daily monitoring of all AfricaRice applications, including in the Regional stations and in the Internet Cloud. Specifically, s/he will:
- Work closely with developers and a variety of end users to ensure technical compatibility and user satisfaction;
- Identify options for potential solutions and assess them for technical suitability;
- Coordinate the development of specific applications for research business and ensure all software development activities are consistent;
- Organize acceptance tests prior to any application’s go‐live, and document tests as per good practices and audit requirements;
- Ensure backups are done, tested regularly and documented as per existing backup guidelines; this includes all AfricaRice regional stations;
- Ensure any application development/deployment follows a proper software implementation framework;
- Ensure any change to live applications follow the AfricaRice change control guidelines and is documented and meets audit requirements;
- Manage the AfricaRice Intranet; ensure confidentiality and restrictions to information and documents apply effectively where required;
- Lead the management and administration of databases and be responsible of the integrity and availability of data for daily productivity;
- Provide training to users of a new system;
- Resolves open help desk tickets and verifies all issues were properly resolved and documented;
- Collaborate with the IT Manager on the management of ICT Projects
- Her/his role will include a variety of tasks: conceiving and implementing new system deployment; administering networks, remote administration, training and supporting end‐users.
Education: Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Sciences, or equivalent discipline.
Work Experience: At least 3 years of experience in software engineering
Key Competencies Required:
- Experience in managing an ERP;
- Experience in managing software development projects;
- Strong knowledge in PHP5, HTML5 and .NET technologies including C# and ASP.NET;
- Strong knowledge in SQL Server. Knowledge of other DBMS such as MySQL, MongoDB is an asset;
- Portal development experience, ideally strong experience with SharePoint;
- Have strong structured development experience;
- Have proven delivery experience working in a team environment;
- Good understanding of OO/object oriented software development;
- Experience in open source software engineering technologies;
- Knowledge of Android development;
- Knowledge in image processing and richmedia is an asset;
- Good communication & interpersonal skills.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Excellent customer service skills: patience; clear and professional communication; ability to communicate technical information to non‐technical personnel; strong documentation skills
- Service attitude is a must;
- Demonstrated ability to contribute thoughtful planning, careful execution, and effective teamwork;
- Ability to collaborate with other IT professionals and, as needed, various external consultants/vendors.
- Well organized – ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously;
- Capable of working both independently or on a team:
- Must be self‐driven and able to work with little supervision;
- Flexibility to adapt to varying environments.
The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
- This is a regionally recruited position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: day, month, year), language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply for this position, please send your applications:
To: [email protected] with the vacancy reference in subject: GSS/32/CS/2013/06
Or to the following address: Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031, Cotonou, Benin Republic.
Or online at http://eservices.africarice.org/jobs/Positions/index.php?poste=Systems%20Analyst&id=119
Deadline: Applications will be considered until Sunday, July 21, 2013.
AfricaRice is an equal opportunity employer. AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations and particularly welcomes applications from women and developing countries.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.