Post: Research Assistant‐Agronomy (Cotonou)
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Research Assistant specialized in Agronomy to join its Sustainable Productivity Enhancement Program at AfricaRice, Cotonou.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
The Research Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the researcher in charge of research in intensification and diversification of rice‐vegetable cropping systems in the RAP project. S/he will:
- Implement, manage and conduct analyzes of experimental data and surveys on ricebased systems in lowland inland valley;
- Support the management and supervision of Agronomy trials that are conducted onfield and on‐station;
- Assist in preparing presentation and publication of research results;
- Supervise MSc & Engineer students in farming and cropping system research;
- Assist in developing training materials;
- Undertake any other duties as requested by his direct supervisor and the Management.
Education: MSc. in Agronomy with a strong background in cropping systems or farming systems approach.
Work Experience: At least five (5) years after MSc
Key Competencies Required: Experience in statistical data analysis (multivariate analysis, regression, etc.); experience in the use of GIS software like ArcGIS; good scientific publication record; general computer skills, including MS Excel, open Access, etc.; knowledge of ricebased systems and inland valleys in Africa; Ability to efficiently work as a member of a multidisciplinary team and to take responsibilities for tasks with minimal supervision; ability to work in multicultural environment in close collaboration with NARS.
The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
- This is a regionally recruited position.
- AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
- The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: day, month, year), language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
To apply for this position, please send your applications:
To: [email protected] with the vacancy reference in subject: GSS/28/RD/2013/06
Or to the following address: Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031,
Cotonou, Benin Republic
Or online at http://eservices.africarice.org/jobs/Positions/index.php?poste=Research%20Assistant-Agronomy%20(Cotonou)&id=116
Deadline: Applications will be considered until Sunday, July 21, 2013.
AfricaRice is an equal opportunity employer. AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations and particularly welcomes applications from women and developing countries.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.