AfricaRice Jobs: Research Assistant – Rice Commodity Specialist
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) wishes to employ a highly qualified Research Assistant ‐ Rice Commodity Specialist who will be based at Cotonou, Benin. This position is funded by the Multinational‐CGIAR Project on Support to agricultural Research for development of Strategic Crops in Africa (SARD‐SC). This invitation for applications follows the general procurement notice AfDB43‐04/12 for this project that was published in UN Development Business online on 27 April, 2012.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
The Research Assistant – Rice Commodity Specialist will work under the direct supervision of the Rice Commodity Specialist / AfricaRice in Cotonou, Benin or his duly assigned representative.
S/he will undertake the following functions:
- Assist in implementing project activities related to the rice component of the SARD‐SC project;
- Assist in developing a network of rice sector development hubs to be set up in at least 10 countries in sub‐Saharan Africa within the framework of the SARD‐SC project;
- Participate in the organization of training courses related to different aspects of rice value chain development (seed and paddy production, processing, marketing) for partners in rice sector development hubs;
- Prepare extension materials (e.g. videos, rural radio scripts) for different actors in the rice value chain and promote out‐scaling of results obtained within the project;
- Assist in the preparation of annual workplans, budgets, and technical and financial reports related to the rice component of the SARD‐SC project according to donor and AfricaRice requirements;
- Management and analysis of research data;
- Undertake any other project‐related task assigned by the Rice Commodity Specialist /AfricaRice in Cotonou, Benin or his duly assigned representative.
The selected candidate should have:
- MSc degree in Agriculture or equivalent, with a preference for knowledge in agronomy, value chain and/or agri‐business;
- Working experience of at least 3 years after MSc, preferentially in value chain and/or agribusiness;
- Experience in writing technical reports and extension materials;
- Excellent organization and planning skills, with an eye for detail;
- Exposure to international organizations and interdisciplinary agricultural research, and knowledge of rice‐based systems are considered important assets;
- Strong communication skills in either French or English, with an excellent working knowledge of the other language;
- Ability to efficiently work as a member of a multi‐disciplinary team and to take responsibilities for tasks with minimal supervision;
- Willingness to travel locally and, where needed, internationally;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment in close collaboration with the NARS.
Terms and Conditions
This is a General Support Staff (GSS) position.
AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender sensitive working environment.
The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: month, year), language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
Online Application: To apply online for this position, please click on the following web link: http://eservices.africarice.org/Jobs/index.php#GSS/07/RD/2013/03
Applications that are not sent on‐line should be sent:
To: [email protected] with the following mention in subject “Recruitment process‐RA Rice Commodity Specialist”
to the following address:
Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031, Cotonou, Benin Republic
Applications Deadline: April 5th, 2013.
AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations, and encourages applications from women and developing country professionals.
AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.