AfricaRice Jobs: Research Assistant Plant Breeding
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Research Assistant Plant Breeding to be based at AfricaRice, Cotonou, Benin.
AfricaRice is one of the 15 international agricultural research Centers that are members of the CGIAR Consortium. It is also an autonomous intergovernmental association of African member countries.
The Research Assistant Plant Breeding shall provide support to the scientist in generating
breeding lines from crosses and evaluation of advanced progenies under the screenhouse and
Specifically, s/he will undertake the following functions:
- Manage field experiments at AfricaRice sites and collaborate with other researchers on on‐going Breeding Task Force (BTF) activities;
- Assist in varietal selection in different BTF trials along with other Scientists/Researchers and provide seed inventory for the selected breeding lines;
- Provide technical assistance and work closely with Scientists and Researchers from within and outside AfricaRice, in aspects of seed requests;
- Draft quality technical reports and articles for the publication in scientific journals;
- Participate in the maintenance of research laboratory and equipment in Cotonou;
- Assist in the preparation of annual workplans, budgets and technical and financial reports;
- Perform other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
Education: MSc in Plant Breeding or related fields
Work Experience: More than five years’ experience in plant breeding preferably in rice in Africa.
Key Competencies Required:
- Ability to efficiently work as a member of a multi‐disciplinary team and to take responsibilities for tasks with minimal supervision; Ability to work in multicultural environment in close collaboration with NARS; Excellent social skills, a collaborative style, proactive and innovative attitudes.
- The ideal candidate must have a strong knowledge in experimental design, data collection and management, and statistical analysis using GENSTAT, SAS, etc.; excellent knowledge of statistics including field experimental design.
The candidate should communicate fluently (orally and in writing) in either French or English, with a good working knowledge of the second language.
Terms and Conditions
This is a regionally recruited position.
AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender‐sensitive working environment.
The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
Candidates should send an application (including a cover letter and a detailed CV with the following information: Name, surname, gender, date of birth, family status, nationality, certificates obtained, professional experience (stating clearly beginning and end dates of each experience: month, year), language skills (French/English), and the names and addresses (including telephone / fax / email) of three referees.
Applications that are not sent on‐line should be sent:
To: A.Kpadonou@cgiar.org with the following mention in subject “Recruitment process‐ Research Assistant Plant Breeding (Benin)”
to the following address:
Head, Human Resources Unit, AfricaRice, 01 B.P. 2031, Cotonou, Benin Republic
Applications Deadline: April 5th, 2013.
AfricaRice believes that staff diversity promotes excellence in its operations, and encourages applications from women and developing country professionals. AfricaRice thanks all applicants but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted