We recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Vocational Training Program Officer (MAIDA)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- The MAIDA programme will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State.
- The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way.
- Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective. First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities.
- In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives.
- These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups.
- Finally, overall social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource management will be improved in areas of displacement and return. Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peacebuilding.
- Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
General Position Summary
- The Vocational Training Program Officer is a technical specialist that oversees the vocational training and apprenticeship components of the MAIDA programme.
- The Vocational Training Programme Officer is responsible for a cluster of ten communities in Borno State.
- S/he will work closely with the Ministry of Youth and Sports and the Borno State Ministry of Poverty Alleviation and Youth Empowerment to expend the existing Entrepreneurship Development Program and Skills for Jobs Program and will work with Skills Acquisition Centers to train at-risk youth and provide support for job placement.
- The Vocational Training Programme Officer will also support the creation of Multi-Skills Training and Resource Centers and conduct labor market assessments to guide vocational offerings.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Coordinate with the Community Mobilization Team to identify potential beneficiaries and enroll them into vocational skills training courses.
- Conduct labor market and needs assessments to identify in-demand vocational skills.
- Support the creation of Multi-Skills Training and Resource Centers in areas of return not already served by government facilities.
- Lead the development and implementation of vocational skills, entrepreneurship, climate-smart agriculture and other training modules in assigned geographic area.
- Lead the implementation of an apprenticeship program that connects youth with existing businesses. Identify local businesses accepting apprenticeships, coordinate transparent apprenticeship application and placement processes, monitor apprentice performance, ensure protection practices are followed by apprentice hosts and address complaints raised by apprentices and apprentice hosts.
- Lead the implementation of a cash grants for livelihood start-ups project that provides financial support to youth starting enterprises.
- Support the Monitoring and Evaluation Team to conduct monitoring of program activity implementation and outcomes.
- Coordinate activities with the Federal-level Youth Empowerment and Social Support Operation (YESSO), the Ministry of Youth and Sports, the Borno State Ministry of Poverty Alleviation and Youth Empowerment and the Central Bank of Nigeria’s Entrepreneurship Development Center to ensure complementarity of activities.
- Produce reports, including spreadsheets, reflecting trainings, apprenticeships and cash grants, number of beneficiaries and any other information relevant to the programme.
- Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of activities and impact and make recommendations for improvements.
- Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Carry out other duties as assigned or required.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- A minimum of a B.S. in education, international development or a related field. M.Sc. preferred.
- 4 years of experience working on the direct implementation of technical training, workforce development or entrepreneurship activities required.
- Ability to work independently in the field and show initiative.
- Experience with youth and youth mobilization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to develop good relationships with target communities.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local stakeholders, private sector actors, the Government and partners.
- Excellent oral, written and computer skills.
- Fluency in English, Hausa and Kanuri is required.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
4th August, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.