Vacancy: Aquaculture Specialist at Chemonics International Inc.
Chemonics International Inc., a leading international development firm based in Washington, D.C www.chemonics.com seeks qualified candidates for a five-year agricultural value-chain development project funded by the U.S. Agency for international Development (USAID). The positions will be based in Warri, Delta State. Any successful candidates will possess the following:
Position: Aquaculture Specialist:
The Aquaculture Specialist will be based in Warri, Delta state and will support aquaculture activities initially in Delta, Rivers and Bayelsa states. Other states in the Niger Delta could be added as the program develops and matures.
Responsibilities: As directed by the Director, Agricultural Productivity (DAP) and the Senior Program Manager (SPM), the Aquaculture Specialists charged with supervision of activities in support of aquaculture program, directly or via delegation, as appropriate. These include but are not limited to the following tasks:
- Development of the aquaculture annual work plans.
- Implementation of aquaculture specific plans of action in collaboration with partners, and client firms etc., and, design training programs as needed for successful implementation in aquaculture production, handling/processing, storage, packing, transporting, etc.
- Manage the planning, implementation and monitoring of aquaculture specific activities including but not limited to: drafting scopes of work for short-term consultancies, technical advisors, and marketing specialists in support of aquaculture program activities, coordinating work of consultants to ensure timely delivery of quality products, and supervisory review of the aquaculture development action plans and the effectiveness of activities.
- Facilitate market studies and market linkage analyses that will contribute to building commodity-chain awareness, improving marketing infrastructure, and enhancing domestic competitiveness.
- Establish close and effective working relations with key organizations and ensure integration and coordination of aquaculture development activities with other donors, government or private initiatives targeting the aquaculture sector.
- Provide technical assistance to producers and agribusinesses in order to identify needs and enhance the business skills for market development and product branding based on consumer preferences and quality requirements, achieve greater yields of high quality products by demonstrating appropriate technologies, including but not limited to site selection, pond construction, pond/water management, fish nutrition and feed and feeding techniques; facilitate producers and processors access to credit, inputs, and other related services; conduct marketing assessments, and the development of good feed marketing and distribution systems.
- Provide input to quarterly and annual reports, and work planning exercises.
- Responsible for the collection of data from partners and submission of same to the M & E unit
- Other tasks as assigned by the DAP or SPM considered necessary to achieve success and which are consistent with the overall nature of the contract and the work plan.
- The successful candidate will have as minimum a M.Sc. degree from a first class university in Agriculture with preferably a specialization in Aquaculture/fisheries,
- She/he will have a minimum of 7 year experience in aquaculture and preferably in catfish production.
- Private sector experience is a plus.
- Experience in USAID or other donor funded aquaculture development projects is an advantage.
- She/he will have extensive experience working with farmer groups and associations and have experience as a trainer of adults.
- She/he is familiar with the working conditions in the Niger Delta and is able and willing to travel extensively in the region.
- S/he must be a team player, able to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- She/he has excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
How to Apply:
To apply, Please email a full CV detailing all relevant professional experience and achievements, a cover letter detailing qualifications in relation to the position, and three professional references not later 20th February, 2013 to: [email protected] .
Please specify ‘the position in the subject line. Only candidates will be contacted. Chemonics is an Equal Opportunity Employer.