Vacancies: Communications Officer, Environmental Officer at Borno State Agricultural Development Programme
The Federal Government of Nigeria has received a credit from the International Development Association, part of which has been on-lent to the Borno State Government for the implementation of the Third National Fadama Development Project in the State. Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacancies in the State Fadama Coordination Office (SFCO).
Position: Communications Officer (CO):
Overall Function of the Position
The CO will be responsible for the coordination of all communications activities within the project component in the state. He or she will oversee as well as coordinate activities concerning public awareness, enlightenment and communications for behavioral change on the project by the beneficiaries and members of the public or targeted audience.
Specific Duties of the Position
- Responsible for day to day communications activities at the SFCO State Fadama Development Office
- Agree with the SFCO on the Management Objective(s) for the communications plan Prepare the communications plans, timelines and budgets
- Design and implement a communications strategy for behavioral change for the state Fadama program using available baseline studies on public perception to achieve management objective(s)
- Assist in conducting state communications audit and assessment
- Liaise with the relevant channels for press releases, press conferences, interviews, lectures/talks etc
- Production of relevant information(print and electronic) materials for distribution or broadcast to target audience
- Identify Local government information officers or National Orientation staff who can assist at community levels
- Identify modem and traditional channels of communication at community levels Organize project and interstate tours for journalists, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO’s). Fadama User Groups (FUGs), visiting trade missions etc
- Assist in the establishment of websites and information kiosks on State Fadama groups and their products as well as national and international market outlets for fadama products
- Organize and coordinate workshops/trainings for local government information officers, National Orientation officers to enhance the communication of the Fadama program at the grassroots.
- Monitor and evaluate the success of the communications programs through simple qualitative and quantitative research on quarterly bases to ensure success of communications program
- Assist to establish partnerships and liaise with organizations, Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and civil Society Organizations (CSOs) that influence or impact on FUGs
- Assist in educating and enlightening FUGs and members of the public on search techniques for information on international/national outlets and markets for Fadama products.
- Undertake any other responsibilities assigned by the State Project Coordinator (SPC)
Reporting and Location
- The Position will be based in the SFCO but will involve occasional travel to participating local government and communities. The CO will report directly to the SPC but will also liaise with the National Communications Consultant for professional inputs and advice.
- Masters degree in Journalism or Mass Communication, sociology, psychology or any of the Social sciences.
- Minimum of 3 years cognate experience in Development communications or 7 years post- qualification experience in the print or electronic media, social mobilization, public relations or advertising.
- Fluency in the local languages within the state is an advantage
- Good writing and oral communication skills as well as ability to organize events and functions.
- Demonstrated ability for teamwork
- Computer literacy as an added advantage.
Details of the Contract:
One-year contract, renewable, (up to end of project), and based on performance.
Position: Environmental Officer (EO)
Overall Function of the Position:
- The EO will be responsible for coordination and supervision of environmental and social safeguards relating to implementation of the Project. Responsibilities will include the coordination of implementation of the Environmental Management Plan (PMP), Resettlement Policy Framework (RPF) and Pest Management Plan (PMP).
Specific Duties of the Position:
- Collates baseline data on relevant environmental characteristics of the selected fadama sites.
- Analyzes potential community/individual sub-projects and their environmental impacts in collaboration with the SFCO. Ensures that sub-projects are implemented in accordance to best practices and guidelines set out in the EMP, RPF and PMP.
- Ensure the usage by Fadama Community Association (FCAs) of the generic checklist of environmental/social impacts as contained in the Environmental Assessment Handbook
- Identifies and liaises with all the stakeholders involved in environment and social related issues in the Project.
- Coordinates and ensures the implementation of the PMP, RAP, and any other plans on grazing reserves, soil and water monitoring plans
- Responsible for the overall monitoring of mitigating measures and the impacts of the Project during implementation; and
- Provides implementation assistance as necessary.
Reporting and Location:
- The position will be based in the SFCO in the State capital, but will involve frequent travel to participating Local Governments and communities. The EO will report directly to the SPC.
- At least a Masters degree in Ecology, Geography, Natural Resources Management, Environmental Management or any related field.
- Minimum of 6 years relevant experience. Some experience with projects involving development agencies would be an advantage.
- Fluency in local language; and
- Good communication and writing skills and computer skills (Excel, Word, etc) required. Details of the Contract:
Details of the Contract
- One-year contract, renewable, (up to end of project), and based on performance.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit ten copies of applications accompanied by the candidate’s curriculum vitae, photocopies of relevant credentials and three professional referees report to the Permanent Secretary/PM, Borno State Agricultural Development Programme, 2 Shehu Laminu Way, P.M.B. 1452, Maiduguri
Deadline: On or before 19th November 2012. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.