Farmcrowdy’s mandate it to empower our indigenous farmers and provide a sustainable way of engaging people in Agriculture.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Field Specialist (TFS) – Soya Beans
Reports to: Regional Manager & VP, Operations
Direct Reports: Farm Supervisors, Farm Extension Workers, Farmers
- We are currently scaling up on our farm project operations and we will require the services of a Technical Field Specialist for Soya Beans.
- The Technical Field Specialist is responsible for Farm Operations and will play a key role in planning, organizing and implementing the Production & Commercialization plans for all Farmcrowdy’s Farm Projects.
- This will also involve must possess technical expertise in a given crop or livestock and must have proven working knowledge of other crops/livestock of interest.
- The role requires a reliable, trustworthy, conscientious, self-motivated professional who is always prepared to be a “hands on” practical farm manager when required. The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for managing a combined team of Farm Managers, Farm Extensions workers & Farmers.
- To co-ordinate management of all farm operations
- Manage the initial set-up of the farm from bush clearing, irrigation installations and building up your team
- Manage all day-to-day farming operations
- To Send Weekly ‘Farm Updates’ of all operational activities
- Manage seed acreage contract allocations to farmers
- Land management of cropping systems, nutrients, pests, tillage and other resources
- To increase yield by variety selection and soil improvement practices
- Active involvement in Selection of Farm lands, Soil tests etc
- Co-ordinate an integrated pest management system
- Develop a cost effective and environmentally sound method of enhancing yields
- Compile and Control Budgets for the farm project (s).
- Perform long and short term project management to optimize farm profit and minimize loss; Preparing Risk Assessments where required
- Coordinate financial and physical performance of the farms
- Successful implementation of short and long term business plans in cooperation with the management team and ground staff.
- To create a stable workforce by providing leadership for effective management of the staff and operations of the region
- To provide coaching and training on developing production management programmes which will enhance productivity and profitability
- Facilitate Training programs; Develop and Deliver appropriate training to both Farm Managers and Farm Extension Workers; Coordinate training needs assessment
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Conflict Resolution
- Maintain regular communication with the Farm Managers and the Farm Extension workers
- Liaise and interact with Farmers’ co-operatives/ Farming communities located within the region.
Ideal candidates for this role should have:
- Master’s degree with specialization in any Agric related field; Plant breeding, Agronomy, Crop Protection or related Agric Disciplines
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience in agricultural processes and farms operations with focus on Production Management and Commercialization.
- Must be able to provide evidence on a previous farm project (s) with reference from the farm’s management about a successful out-come
- Research work in any of the Crop mentioned below; Must have the practical evidence based results from research project(s)executed
- Must have working knowledge of crops peculiar to given regions
- Knowledge of Irrigation Farming is an added advantage
- Must have working knowledge of other grain crops and or livestock peculiar to given regions
- Willingness to Travel to different locations when required.
- Organisational and time management skills;
- Ability to work under pressure
- Supervisory skills and Management ability
- Numerical aptitude;
- Self-motivation and the ability to motivate others;
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to make sound decisions and solve problems
- Effective leader and team-player receptive to feedback and willing to learn new things and share knowledge and skills; embracing continuous improvement
- Negotiating skills
- Language proficiency (English & other Indigenous Languages)
- Must demonstrate ownership of an Agric Support Network
- Must belong to a Professional Body (Group) that is related/affiliated to Agriculture
- Must have access to Federal (State) Ministries and or Parastatals which are responsible for Agriculture (Products, Equipment and otherwise)
Application Closing Date
31st February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV’s to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title as “Application for TFS – Soya Bean”.
- You may also include a link to your linked.in profile in the application
- Farmcrowdy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing diversity and inclusion in the workforce.