We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer
Locations: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania and Kigali, Rwanda
Position N°: 50067882 / 50098380
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) is responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs and activities. The Vice-Presidency Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its RMCs and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
- The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex (AHVP) leads in implementing two of the five goals, namely “Feed Africa” and “Improve the Quality of Life for Africans”. The complex comprises five departments: (i) Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development; (ii) Agriculture Finance and Rural Development; (iii) Gender, Women and Civil Society; (iv) Water Development and Sanitation; and, (v) Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development.
The Hiring Department/Division
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s”. The position is under the Regional Development and Business Delivery Office, East AFRICA (RDGE) and located in the Tanzania Country Office (COTZ) and the Rwanda Country Office (CORW).
- The mission of the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Division is to contribute to the Bank’s efforts to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development in Regional Member Countries. It does so by (1) contributing to development of country and regional strategies and building sector knowledge and (2) focusing on project/programme origination and delivery for approval of operations defined under the High 5 priorities.
- The Water Development and Sanitation Department (AHWS) is responsible for the coordination of the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High 5s.
- Through its two Divisions: AHWS.1 for water coordination and partnerships, and AHWS2 for water security and sanitation, and the African Water Facility (AWF), the Department supports regional hubs in the development and promotion of new knowledge, capacity, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation. In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank’s contribution to Africa’s efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation.
The position of the Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer, has the following work objectives:
- Contribute to attainment of national/regional water and sanitation agenda and related objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including attaining water and sanitation for all and ensuring water quality standards towards improved quality of life for the people;
- Liaising with national-level stakeholders, and maintaining close collaboration with regional hubs and other water-related complexes in the Bank, the position contributes to pertinent knowledge management and technical guidance on sustainable and affordable water supply and sanitation technologies and approaches;
- Provide assistance to RMCs in understanding and applying Bank Group’s operational procedures relating to loan administration, and procurement of goods and services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the managers for RDGE2, the Country Office and AHWS2, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Programming of Sector Priorities with Reference to Infrastructure:
- Provide technical advice/assistance to RMCs for the development of their water and sanitation sector (WSS):
- Assist RMCs in identifying institutional capacity building and reform requirements, human resources development needs;
- Assist RMCs in policy development and review and provide guidance in sectoral development planning;
- Promote stakeholder participation in sectoral activities: local authorities, private sector, communities and community based organizations (CBOs), and NGOs.
- Contribute to the formulation of the Bank Group Water and Sanitation Sector policy and provide technical advice/guidance in implementation and monitoring compliance of the policy.
Identification, Preparation and Appraisal of Water and Sanitation Projects / Programs:
- Prepare water supply and sanitation projects/programs:
- Review relevant documents on the WSS sector in RMCs;
- Lead/participate in field identification missions to RMCs, discuss needs, policies and strategies with relevant officials of RMCs;
- Assist RMCs to prepare water supply and sanitation projects/programs;
- Prepare and update project/programme briefs and project /programme matrices
- Ensure project compliance with Bank Group acceptance criteria:
- Check to ensure that projects conform with RMCs policies, priorities and development plans as well as with Bank Group policies and priorities;
- Ensure that projects/programs are conceptually, technically and environmentally sound; prepare cost estimates;
- Suggest possible financing arrangements;
- Determine capacity of RMC to operate and maintain the completed project and propose solutions.
- Ensure inclusion of proposed studies and projects in the pipeline of projects and Lending Program.
- Contribute to preparing studies and projects for Bank Group financing:
- Lead or support missions to prepare Terms of Reference (TOR) of studies;
- Provide guidance to relevant RMC officials for the preparation of TOR of the studies;
- Propose implementation and project financing, and collaborate in arranging co-financing of projects to leverage resources when necessary;
- Prepare mission reports and aide memoires.
- Appraise projects and process for Bank Group financing:
- Lead/participate in multidisciplinary appraisal missions to RMCs to carry out technical, financial, economic, institutional, social and environmental appraisal of proposed projects;
- Prepare Back to Office Reports and Appraisal Reports;
- Lead/participate in joint field missions with co-financiers for co-financed projects.
Loan Processing, Project/Programme Implementation and Supervision:
- Process projects for Bank Group financing:
- Process TORs of studies and Appraisal Reports of projects/programs with President’s Memoranda through Internal, Inter-Departmental Working Groups and Loans Committees to the Board of Directors for loan/grant approval;
- Organize and participate in loan negotiations and arrange loan signature;
- Collaborate with the Legal Department in preparation of loan agreements;
- Monitor the process of loan effectiveness and ensure the RMCs meet the conditions for loan effectiveness;
- Collaborate with other Divisions and Departments in the administration of Bank Group loans.
- Monitor implementation of studies/projects through desk reviews and field missions:
- Ensure studies and projects are implemented in accordance with TORs and contracts, and within time and budgetary allocations;
- Review progress reports and all other reports related to the project including inception reports, final reports, detailed designs, etc;
- Conduct regular field supervision and follow-up missions to RMCs to review progress in the field and resolve implementation problems;
- Ensure compliance with general and specific conditions of loans and grants.
- Monitor compliance of RMCs to Bank Group procurement procedures:
- Review bidding documents to ensure that they are in accordance with Bank Group rules of procurement of goods and works, and rules of procurement of consultancy services;
- Review and analyze…