We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Senior Technical Specialist – Animal Health
- FHI 360 seeks a Senior Technical Specialist – Animal Health for an anticipated The Fleming Fund Country Grant for Nigeria-Tackling Antimicrobial Resistance in Nigeria.
- The Country Grant will address critical gaps in surveillance of antibiotic resistant bacteria in Nigeria.
- This grant will support implementation of national plans for antimicrobial resistance (AMR) surveillance, and will focus on selected number of AMR surveillance sites.
- We will work closely with local entities that are already involved in AMR surveillance, AMR/AMU oversight and improvement activities, local and national Technical Working Groups and national and regional reference laboratories for human and animal health, participating AMR/AMU surveillance sites, and other government and national and international non-government stakeholders, and UN agencies as well as Mott MacDonald, The Fleming Fund Management Agent.
Job Summary / Responsibilities
- This position will be responsible for activities related to strengthening the capacity and systems for AMR/AMU surveillance in animals. This position is based in Abuja with frequent field visits (50 percent or more) in different parts of Nigeria.
Specific responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical assistance to collect, assemble, and review data related to AMR and AMU patterns in animals (e.g., AMR trends for the zoonotic bacteria/antibiotic combinations in broiler and layer populations)
- Provide technical assistance /participate in animal health investigations (e.g., source, antibiotic use, and spread of infection)
- Provide technical assistance /participate in mapping/investigating/assessing antibiotic distribution and use in food livestock
- Provide technical assistance for assessments and improvements of the veterinary reference laboratory, microbiology laboratories/surveillance sites for animal health
- Provide technical assistance for sample collection, coordination, and transport
- Conduct supportive supervision and monitoring of, and onsite coaching and mentoring to CVL and animal AMR/AMU surveillance sites.
- Support Senior Technical Advisor to provide technical assistance to establish and make functional Animal AMR/AMU TWG. Provide support to conduct and participate in Animal AMR/AMU TWG meeting.
- Share the findings including AMR/AMU trends to Animal AMR/AMU TWG quarterly and annually.
- Provide technical assistance to prepare and submit AMR/AMU-related data and report as per the national, regional and global standard and requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Animal Science or other relevant subject and 8 years of experience in animal health, animal science, animal production, veterinary technology, or a related area. Masters’ degree with 5 years of similar experience is considered equivalent.
- Registered Veterinary Technician/Technologist is preferred. This combination of education and work experience would provide the following relevant specialized knowledge and skills in subject areas associated with animal health:
- Livestock management (e.g., nutrition, care, treatment, and health) with an emphasis on poultry
- Biosafety and biosecurity and how to apply principles
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with livestock producers and animal industry stakeholders
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in an IT environment
- Strong coordination, communication, and interpersonal aptitudes
- Fluency in English
- AMR/AMU and disease surveillance and other relevant health programs (strongly preferred)
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the ethical issues surrounding research and surveillance
- This job description above summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.