African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Financial Analyst
Position N°: 50001226
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department/Division
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s. Each of the Regional Directorates will have an Agriculture, Human & Social Development Division.
- The mission of the Agriculture, Human & Social Development Division in the West Africa Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Directorates is to contribute to the Bank’s efforts to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development in Regional Membership Countries.
- It does so by (1) initiating and participating in the development of country and regional strategies, (2) focusing on business development to build the Bank’s pipeline of projects, and lending activities to prepare and appraise projects, and (3) actively contributing to the implementation and delivery of flagship programs defined under the High 5s priorities.
- The Senior Financial Analyst will take an active part in the development of projects and programs primarily in the water and sanitation sector that will be considered for financing by the Bank group:
- Carry out financial and economic analyses as part of the preparation and appraisal of potential projects and programs.
- Develop financing arrangements, identifying appropriate instruments and financing modalities for potential projects and programs.
- The incumbent will also take part in other key activities of the Division, such as contribution to Country Strategy Papers and building the pipeline of projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Division Manager, the Senior Financial Analyst will primarily support the division’s lending activities, with a focus on water and sanitation operations, to ensure financially and economically viable operations.
- Participate in Bank missions to collect, examine and analyse economic, financial and technical information/data needed to prepare and appraise potential projects and programmes. The focus will be on the financial and economic analysis of the project as well as the financing modalities of the project.
- Contribute to the preparation of Country Strategy Papers and support the generation of a pipeline of water and sanitation sector projects and programmes for both sovereign and non-sovereign financing.
- Participate in project supervisions and mid-term reviews, and take an active part in effective project portfolio management and administration of loans and grants.
- Provide assistance to borrowers in understanding and implementing Bank Group policies and procedures as well as issues related to the implementation of projects and programmes and resource use.
- Participate in promoting and identifying public private partnerships in the water and sanitation sector in the region.
- In liaison with the Bank’s Water Development and Sanitation Department, participate in analysis of the water and sanitation sector as regards the institutional aspects, performance, past and current investments and the constraints that hinder the sector’s sustainable development, policies and development strategies, projects and programmes and their implementation.
- Participate in or coordinate the preparation of internal reports and documents of the Department or other departments/units of the Bank; provide expert advice and contribute to working groups in-house and outside the division.
- Represent the Division in regional and international meetings on infrastructure financing as needed.
- Contribute to the mandate of the Division, taking initiative and providing support as needed.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree or its equivalent in in Finance/Banking, Economics, Business Administration, or Accounting, or related discipline.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience.
- Private sector experience will be an added advantage
- Extensive experience in financial and economic analysis of investment projects/programmes. Financial and economic modelling capabilities are indispensable.
- Experience with a wide range of financing modalities for sovereign as well as non-sovereign funded projects
- Competence and experience in all phases of project/programme identification, preparation, appraisal and implementation
- A good understanding and knowledge of institution building issues in the financial domain is an advantage
- Ability to evaluate, analyse and structure financial proposals, comprehensive knowledge of borrowing members’ economic, financial and institutional issues.
- Ability to simultaneously work on a range of assignments and projects, and prioritize a variety of complex evolving tasks.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Promote and comply with high ethical standards
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications Suite applications, SAP.
Application Closing Date
11th July, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online