ICRISAT seeks applications for the post of Scientific Officer to be based at Kano.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, apolitical, international organization for science-based agricultural development. Established in 1972, it is an Alliance of centers of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), and supported by more than 48 governments, foundations, and development banks. To reduce poverty, enhance crop productivity and food security and to protect the environment, ICRISAT research focuses on farming systems and crop improvement, management and utilization of sorghum, pearl millet, pigeon pea, chickpea, and groundnut in the semi-and tropics.
- To supervise on-farm farmer participatory action research trials in different parts of Northern Nigeria
- To travel within the participating communities and providing technical support to Farmer groups in the communities
- Assist scientists to conduct and manage screen house and field trials
- To interact with the farmers, researchers and ICRISAT partners
- To record scientific data, collecting of the information about the farmers and groups
- Undertake data analysis and scientific reporting of research outputs
- Supervise field workers and other support staff
- Assist with the procurement and distribution of inputs for trials
- Assist in training of extension agents, lead farmers; students and visiting trainees carry out any other task assigned by the supervisor.
- A minimum of M.Sc in Agronomy/Rant Breeding or related discipline
- Five (5) years of post-qualification experience in Agricultural research organisation in northern Nigerian
- Demonstrated computer skills (especially word processing and spreadsheet) and a good knowledge of statistics and experimental design
- interest and ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams Candidate must be honest, hardworking
- Willingness to travel as per needs of the job
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with pleasing personality
- Fluency in Hausa language is an added advantage
- Possession of valid driving license is added advantage
This position is a nationally recruited staff position for two years and renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the Institute’s continuing need for the position. The worn location’s Kano, An attractive compensation is offered for the right candidate. ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer, qualified female candidate are encouraged to apply
How to Apply:
The application should include an up-to-date curriculum vitae, names and addresses (including phone & e-mail) of three referees and date of availability. Please send applications to: email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 26th July, 2012.