The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor (Molecular Breeding)
Locations: Ibadan & Abuja
Recruitment Type: National (1-2 year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Support scientists of the AfricaYam project in genotyping, phenotyping, in vitro establishment and multiplication of true to type, disease and pest-free yam to ensure project goals are accomplished using high quality data and planting material;
- Optimize and implement standardized protocols for leaf tissue collection, DNA extraction, and low-throughput genotyping for quality control, identification, and fidelity testing of yam clones;
- Assist in developing user-friendly SNP DNA marker assays for routine genotyping applications;
- Prepare leaf or DNA samples for NGS-based high-throughput genotyping at external service providers or collaborators and conduct analysis of DNA marker data and prepare reports for AfricaYam scientists;
- Carry out field, screen house, or laboratory activities to evaluate mapping populations and association panels for agronomic, disease and pest resistance, and tuber quality traits;
- Collect, collate and summarize field, screen house and lab data using electronic devices and data management software to prepare reports, monitor multiplication rates, and maintain accurate inventories;
- Co-ordinate with Germplasm Health Unit and Genetic Resource Center staff to establish and maintain virus-free stocks of yam for back-up, multiplication, and distribution of genetic populations;
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Supervisor
- B.Sc/HND in Biotechnology, Plant Breeding, Genetics, Molecular Biology or related discipline with at least two (2) years’ relevant experience performing similar role.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have applied knowledge in molecular genetics, plant propagation, crop breeding and genetics, plant pathology, post-harvest storage and screen house nursery / field trial management.
- Excellent knowledge of data management and statistical analysis software programs.
- Good knowledge of software used to analyze DNA marker data.
- Proactive, innovative and creative attitudes and ability to learn new skills quickly.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
12th May, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, the application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)