We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Manager (Liivelihoods)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Duration: 3 years (Renewable)
- To be responsible for the development and implementation of Country office’s Livelihood Programs in line with the VSON strategic direction and priority.
- Work with project team to lead VSON’s engagement in programmatic areas related to livelihoods interventions.
Programme Development, Planning & Budgeting:
- To ensure proper annual planning and budgeting of VSO Nigeria Livelihoods programme is undertaken in a timely and cost effective manner and the process is aligned with the defined overall priorities set by the donor as well as VSO.
- Ensure that the plan and the budget proposed to the donor are agreed with the partners and is also in accordance with VSO guidelines and country strategic priorities.
- To be responsible for proper dissemination of the approved plan and agreed budget amongst relevant staff, volunteers and partners.
- Take lead in the formulation of secure livelihoods focused donor proposals.
- Ensure that detailed annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly implementation plans are prepared approved and followed through.
- Mechanisms for monitoring and reporting on programme activities, including volunteer reporting, are developed and implemented.
- Accurate Budget Monitoring Reports and variance reports are submitted within deadline.
Staff/Volunteer Recruitment, Placement, Management and Support:
- Work closely with the recruitment team to ensure timely recruitment of both staff and Volunteers and as well ensure their placement.
- Extend all required support and guidance to volunteers in the discharge of their duties. Clear annual, work plans are agreed with staff and roles and responsibilities clarified.
- Hold monthly face-to-face programme review and planning meetings with all staff and international volunteers in the backdrop of M&E data regularly collected.
- Be responsible for identifying staff professional development needs and ensure that they are met.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning:
- Timely and accurate collection and joint team analysis of quantitative and qualitative data at all levels in accordance with the MEL Framework.
- Joint programme progress review with all staff and partners at least on a monthly basis.
- Lead on the Annual Partnership Review (APR) exercise preferably during the November-December period every year.
- Proactively lead program development and support fund raising initiatives of country office around livelihoods (including onfarm and off-farm livelihoods opportunities) and agriculture based value chains in order to expand VSON’s footprint and scale up our existing interventions in Nigeria.
Key Performance Indicator
- The required annual programme review and planning exercise is undertaken in consultation with staff, volunteers and partners.
- The annual Livelihoods programme budget is discussed and finalized in consultation with the Country Director/SMT and submitted to the donor.
- A debrief meeting is held with all staff, volunteers and partners to ensure a shared understanding on the approved plan and budget.
- Number of high value successful donor proposals.
- Minimum variance in the utilization of budgets as per the agreed plans.
- Reports are accurately and timely prepared for review along with detailed explanations on budget utilization variance.
- Reports are submitted to the donor in accordance with the agreed deadlines
- Strength Successfully leads teams and develops others’ team-working skills.
Communications and Influencing:
- Strength Inspires others by: advocating plans and ideas within and outside VSO, maintaining a wide, influential network,coaching.
- Strength Leads initiatives that improve knowledge management; develops others’ knowledge management skills.
Striving for Excellence:
- Strength Leads initiatives to improve monitoring, evaluation and learning; is a role model for continuous learning and improvement.
- Strength Leads others to pursue significant or innovative funding opportunities; finds creative ways to allocate funds and people on complex projects effectively
- Strength Builds a high performing team that meets challenging objectives linked to corporate objectives; ensures own team works efficiently with other teams.
- Strength Is a role model for coaching, mentoring and developing others, and for effective use of VSO’s staff development processes and opportunities
Leading for the Future:
- Strength Builds confidence and excitement in VSO’s work and vision, both internally and externally; leads innovative projects.
- Strength Leads strategic projects, coaching others to consider global and longterm impact, and to consult within and beyond VSO.
- Strength Effectively leads large teams or complex projects, generating a goal-oriented, problem-solving
Qualification and Experience
- A holder of Master’s Degree in Agronomy / Social Sciences/ Rural Development or related fields
- A minimum of 6 years relevant experience
Skills and Knowledge
- Experience of working in Nigeria in cross cultural setting, including an ability to identify and facilitate cross-cultural working and learning amongst staff and volunteers.
- Good understanding of development challenges and working norms in Nigeria with particular focus on livelihoods programming.
- Practical experience gained within an NGO context and of managing a livelihoods programme.
- Experience of matrix and distance managing staff and providing highquality supervision and support
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to negotiate, persuade and vary communication content and style to suit audiences to inform, motivate and inspire.
- Experience in budgeting and financial management, particularly in the context of project planning.
- Experience and skills in facilitating learning in a non-formal environment, ideally including facilitation experience with diverse groups.
- Good Knowledge of programme level M&E including theory of change development and donor reporting
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, including experience of project or programme management.
- Practical experience gained within a volunteering/NGO context and of managing a volunteer programme. Experience of managing change in an international environment.
- Experience of initiating, developing and maintaining transparent, equitable partnerships.
Application Closing Date
21st May, 2017.
1st June, 2017.
3rd July, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online