Sasakawa Africa Association (SAA) is a non-governmental organization that promotes demonstration and widespread adoption of improved pre-and post-production agricultural technologies for small holder farmers. SAA assists host Country agricultural development program through its country program.
SAA Nigeria is seeking to recruit qualified candidates of Nigerian nationals for the Kano State Agro-Pastoral Development Project (KSADP) to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer (PO), Post Harvest & Agro Processing (PHAP)
About the Project
- The Kano State Agro-Pastoral Development Project (KSADP) is a 5-year development project aims to develop agro-pastoral production systems in Kano State. The project directly addresses a fundamental root cause of low animal productivity and conflicts because of the transhumance in Nigeria and particularly in Kano State.
- The project is implemented through five interrelated components: Crop Productivity Enhancement, promotion of improved Postharvest and Agro-processing technologies, promote Public-Private Partnerships in support of pluralistic extension delivery and market access, to develop agricultural extension advisory services and to establish a relevant, efficient and effective Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Sharing system.
- The Program Officer (PO) PHAP assists the Project Coordinator in carrying out activities that contribute to the implementation of value- chain extension approach to attain SAA goal.
- S / he complements the job of the Project Coordinator and is tasked with specific technical responsibility such as promotion of PHAP machines, or developing nutrition-intervention, or other sub-sector of the post-production sub- sector of the value chain.
- Assist Project Coordinator in development of PHAP program (monthly / quarterly / annual) work plan and budget.
- Assist in conducting PHAP needs assessment and contribute to baseline surveys in selected sites in collaboration with other themes.
- Assist Project Coordinator to develop an extension program to promote improved pos-tharvest handling, storage and other value- adding technologies, including the development of off-farm agro-processing enterprise and improving nutrition for rural families.
- Specifically, advise on economic viability of selected technologies
- Assist in Planning, organizing, coordinating and conducting business oriented training on economic analysis of PHAP technologies, development and management of agro-enterprises, skills development on market negotiations and product promotion, and basic business skills for farmers and agro-processor, especially women, youth and PwD.
- Contribute to the development of PHAP training materials for use by trainers and farmers along with PHAP Project Coordinator and other members of the team.
- Support PHAP Project Coordinators and the team to implement programs to promote PHAP technologies and agro-processing enterprises, specifically monitor the economic performances of the promoted technologies and agro-processing enterprises, and advise on using them profitably; identify market opportunities and link farmers and processor to these markets.
- Backstop project activities through regular field visits to provide technical guidance and advice to the extension field staff and other stakeholders on time and collect yield and economic data, analyze and produce field reports.
- Assist the team in conducting technology demonstrations, Farmers’ Field Days, agricultural show and experience-sharing tours on the use and management of the promoted PHAP technologies.
- Provide feedback to thematic colleagues and partners on technology selection, performance and impacts through demonstrations, meetings and reports.
- Assist Project Theme Coordinator in preparing monthly, quarterly biannual and annual technical reports.
- Participate actively in inter theme activities along the value-chain
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisors.
Education Background and Experience
- Minimum requirement: B.Sc. / M.Sc. in Agriculture Economics, Postharvest Management, Agricultural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Food Technology, Rural Development, or any other relevant education
- 5 / 7 years of working experience on relevant field respectively
- English Proficiency: Level C1 (Especially writing skills),
- Microsoft Office: Intermediate knowledge of Power point, Word and Excel
- Basic knowledge on Econometric and statistical analysis and good reporting skills
- Works with minimum supervision on developing business plan and analyzing economic viability of agro- enterprises
Application Closing Date
27th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should send Applications including the following non-returnable documents:
- Application letters stating intent of interest
- Curriculum Vitae with three referees
- Copies of Credentials
All Applications must be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Via the postal address below:
The Country Director,
Sasakawa Global, Sasakawa Global 2000,
No. 8, Kura Road, Off Magajin Rumfa,
P.M.B. 5190 – Kano State.
- Candidates will be pre-screened and only shortlisted ones will be invited for an interview.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply