We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Manager – Livelihood
Duration: 3 years (Renewable)
Working Hours: 36 hours per week
- To be responsible for the development and implementation of Country office’s Livelihood Programs in line with the VSON strategic direction and priority.
- Work with project team to lead VSON’s engagement in programmatic areas related to livelihoods interventions.
- VSO Nigeria is seeking a dynamic, experienced, and competent Program Manager – Livelihood to guide the overall Country Livelihood Programme strategy and implementation.
- Work with project team to lead VSON’s engagement in programmatic areas related to livelihoods interventions. The job holder will report to the Head of Programs and will be located in Abuja, Nigeria (with frequent travel to project locations).
Programme Development, Planning & Budgeting:
- To ensure proper annual planning and budgeting of VSO Nigeria Livelihoods programme is undertaken in a timely and cost effective manner and the process is aligned with the defined overall priorities set by the donor as well as VSO.
- Ensure that the plan and the budget proposed to the donor are agreed with the partners and is also in accordance with VSO guidelines and country strategic priorities.
- To be responsible for proper dissemination of the approved plan and agreed budget amongst relevant staff, volunteers and partners.
- Take lead in the formulation of secure livelihoods focused donor proposals.
- Ensure that detailed annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly implementation plans are prepared, approved and followed through.
- Mechanisms for monitoring and reporting on programme activities, including volunteer reporting, are developed and implemented.
- Accurate Budget Monitoring Reports and variance reports are submitted within deadline.
Staff/Volunteer Recruitment, Placement, Management and Support:
- Work closely with the recruitment team to ensure timely recruitment of both staff and Volunteers and as well ensure their placement.
- Extend all required support and guidance to volunteers in the discharge of their duties.
- Clear annual, work plans are agreed with staff and roles and responsibilities clarified.
- Hold monthly face-to-face programme review and planning meetings with all staff and international volunteers in the backdrop of M&E data regularly collected.
- Be responsible for identifying staff professional development needs and ensure that they are met.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning:
- Timely and accurate collection and joint team analysis of quantitative and qualitative data at all levels in accordance with the MEL Framework.
- Joint programme progress review with all staff and partners at least on a monthly basis.
- Lead on the Annual Partnership Review (APR) exercise preferably during the November-December period every year.
- Proactively lead program development and support fund raising initiatives of country office around livelihoods (including onfarm and off-farm livelihoods opportunities) and agriculture based value chains in order to expand VSON’s footprint and scale up our existing interventions in Nigeria.
Key Performance Indicators
- The required annual programme review and planning exercise is undertaken in consultation with staff, volunteers and partners.
- The annual Livelihoods programme budget is discussed and finalized in consultation with the Country Director/SMT and submitted to the donor.
- A debrief meeting is held with all staff, volunteers and partners to ensure a shared understanding on the approved plan and budget.
- Number of high value successful donor proposals.
- Minimum variance in the utilization of budgets as per the agreed plans.
- Reports are accurately and timely prepared for review along with detailed explanations on budget utilization variance.
- Reports are submitted to the donor in accordance with the agreed deadlines.
- Working together – Strength Successfully leads teams and develops others’ team-working skills.
- Communications and influencing – Strength Inspires others by: advocating plans and ideas within and outside VSO; maintaining a wide, influential network; coaching.
- Managing Knowledge – Strength Leads initiatives that improve knowledge management; develops others’ knowledge management skills.
- Striving for excellence – Strength Leads initiatives to improve monitoring, evaluation and learning; is a role model for continuous learning and improvement.
- Managing Resources – Strength Leads others to pursue significant or innovative funding opportunities; finds creative ways to allocate funds and people on complex projects effectively.
- Managing People – Strength Builds a high performing team that meets challenging objectives linked to corporate objectives; ensures own team works efficiently with other teams.
- Developing People – Strength Is a role model for coaching, mentoring and developing others, and for effective use of VSO’s staff development processes and opportunities?
- Leading for the Future – Strength Builds confidence and excitement in VSO’s work and vision, both internally and externally; leads innovative projects.
- Thinking Strategically – Strength Leads strategic projects, coaching others to consider global and longterm impact, and to consult within and beyond VSO.
- Delivering Results – Strength Effectively leads large teams or complex projects, generating a goal-oriented, problem-solving team mentality and ensuring timely, high quality results.
Qualification and Experience
- A holder of Master’s Degree in Agronomy/Social Sciences/Rural Development or related fields
- A Minimum of 6 years relevant experience.
Skills and Knowledge
- Experience of working in Nigeria in cross cultural setting, including an ability to identify and facilitate cross-cultural working and learning amongst staff and volunteers.
- Good understanding of development challenges and working norms in Nigeria with particular focus on livelihoods programming.
- Practical experience gained within an NGO context and of managing a livelihoods programme.
- Experience of matrix and distance managing staff and providing highquality supervision and support
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to negotiate, persuade and vary communication content and style to suit audiences to inform, motivate and inspire.
- Experience in budgeting and financial management, particularly in the context of project planning.
- Experience and skills in facilitating learning in a non-formal environment, ideally including facilitation experience with diverse groups
- Good Knowledge of programme level M&E including theory of change development and donor reporting
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, including experience of project or programme management.
- Practical experience gained within a volunteering/NGO context and of managing a volunteer programme.
- Experience of managing change in an international environment.
- Experience of initiating, developing and maintaining transparent, equitable partnerships.
Very Competitive Package.