We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Evaluation Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50051180/50090784
- The Board of Directors provides oversight and strategic direction to the African Development Bank Group. It is composed of Executive Directors who are representatives of the African Development Bank member countries.
- Specifically the Board is responsible for the conduct of the general operations of the Bank, and carries out the following functions:
- Determine the general structure of the Bank’s services
- Approve the financing policy and take decisions concerning loans, guarantees, equity investments and fund loans by the Bank
- Determine the interest rates of loans and guarantee commissions
- Approve the Bank’s operations programme and administrative budget
- Prepare the work of the Board of Governors
- Submit accounts and annual reports, as well as the administrative budgets for the approval of the Board of Governors.
- The Board does its work through a series of permanent Committees that review and discuss policy and program documents and make appropriate recommendations to the whole Board. Independent Development Evaluation Department; Compliance
- Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal report to the Board.
The Hiring Department
- The overarching mission of the African Development Bank’s Independent Development Evaluation is to enhance the development effectiveness of the Bank in its regional member countries through independent and influential evaluations, oversight over self-evaluation processes and products, and proactive engagement in evaluation partnerships and knowledge-sharing activities.
- The core mandate of the Independent Development Evaluation Department is to conduct independent evaluation studies, provide relevant lessons, develop and harmonize standards and practices, support evaluation capacity development together with partner agencies and attest to the validity of both processes and the results of African Development Bank’s self-evaluation activities.
- The Independent Development Evaluation Department also collaborates and exchanges information with bilateral and multilateral development agencies’ evaluation departments, and undertakes joint evaluation of co-financed projects and programs.
- The Independent Development Evaluation Department has three divisions: the Infrastructure, Private Sector and Regional Integration Evaluations Division (Division.1), the Agriculture, Human Development, Governance, Corporate and Country Evaluations Division (Division.2) and the Knowledge Management Outreach and Capacity Development Division (Division.3).
- The Divisions 1 and 2 focus on undertaking evaluations whilst the Division 3 on Knowledge Management Outreach and Capacity Development.
- The principal evaluation officer contributes to the delivery of the division work program by leading moderately complex evaluations, supervising evaluation teams, and mentoring and coaching junior colleagues, and supporting work programme management and the Independent Development Evaluation Department’s quality assurance activities.
- This vacancy notice is for two positions in Independent Development Evaluation Department; Division.1 and Division.2.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Managers –Division.1 and Division.2, the Principal Evaluation Officer will:
- Undertake Evaluation Activities: Design, conduct and report on evaluations in accordance with the Bank’s Evaluation Policy and Manual and international evaluation standards (e.g., OECD DAC evaluation standards and the Evaluation Cooperation Group Good Practice Standards)
- Undertake Meta-Evaluations and Meta-Analyses; Lead, and guide meta-evaluations and meta-analyses including designs, and methods (for literature search, and data collection, analysis and reporting).
- Undertake Evaluation Quality Management: Contribute to updating the Independent Development Evaluation Department evaluation quality standards, and quality assurance processes, tools and capacity.
- Contribute to the capture of learning from evaluation design to evaluation dissemination for use in updating the Independent Development Evaluation Department evaluation manual, and for staff learning events.
- Manage human and financial resources of a multi-disciplinary evaluation team to ensure the delivery of complex and concurrent evaluations that are conducted in an independent, cost-effective, rigorous and timely manner.
- Promote the mandate of the evaluation function and contribute to the creation of an evaluation culture in the Bank and in Regional Member Countries.
- Contribute to positioning the Independent Development Evaluation Department as an innovator and leading-edge among other multilateral institutions and to maximizing the effectiveness and efficiency of the Bank’s Evaluation Function.
- Contribute to building strategic alliances and partnerships with key stakeholders within and outside the Bank to further the Evaluation Function’s mandate and engage in evaluation communities of practice within and outside the Bank. Provide substantive input to these communities and share lessons of experience.
- Contribute to the preparation of Independent Development Evaluation Department’s three-year rolling work programme and annual report.
- Perform any other assigned tasks.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Competencies (skills, experience and knowledge):
- Holds at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Economics, Development Evaluation, Finance, Business Administration, Sociology, Development, Statistics, Policy analysis, Public administration, or other international development related field.
- A certificate/diploma in development evaluation, development oriented research and/or program/project planning, management and evaluation is an advantage.
- A minimum of six (6) years’ experience in as a development evaluator/researcher; designing, conducting, managing, and reporting development evaluation/research studies.
- Significant knowledge in quantitative and/or qualitative evaluation methods.
- Broad knowledge of evaluation theories and practice including evaluation needs assessment, design and implementation.
- Proven operational and field experience working in complex development programs.
- Knowledge of operational/policy areas, procedures and practice of the African Development Bank or other multilateral development Banks and/or other international development agencies.
- Operational experience relating, in particular, to areas covered by Division 1 or 2.
- Substantial experience in development planning, management and evaluation in Multilateral Development Banks or other international development agencies
- Strong theoretical and operational knowledge of international development issues and theories relating, in particular, to Africa
- Experience in providing strategic advice to senior management.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring staff’.
- Substantial experience in managing human and financial resources.
- Experience to lead multidisciplinary teams, and work in diverse and multi-cultural settings
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of integrated document management system and/or quantitative and qualitative data analysis packages is an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
7th June, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online