: 03/Dec/2018, 11:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FAO REPRESENTATION IN ETHIOPIA
: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
: Ethiopia-Addis Ababa
Duration: 11 months (3 months’ probation) with possible extension
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on your personal device date and time settings
FAO Ethiopia, in support of the Government of Ethiopia, has developed the project entitled “Support the Government of Ethiopia to enhance food security information, national social protection and disaster risk management systems” (in short: ProAct). The overarching goal is to contribute towards cost-effective, resilient and sustainable food security and nutrition solutions for the vulnerable households living in pastoral areas. The project encompasses three components: (i) Institutionalization of the Integrated Phase Classification (IPC), (ii) DRM mainstreaming into the agricultural sector and coordination between the federal and regional levels, and (iii) support to the national productive safety nets programme (PSNP). To fulfil the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) obligations, FAO Ethiopia is hiring an international consultant.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will report to the ProAct Project Manager
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative for Ethiopia, the guidance of the Deputy FAOR/Head of Programme, in close collaboration of the ProAct Project Manager, the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist will be responsible for the MEAL activities under the ProAct projectproject “Support the Government of Ethiopia to enhance food security information, national social protection and disaster risk management systems”. The position will lead the establishment of a robust MEAL system for the project that can be replicated in other projects and which links to the broader country programme to generate timely information for management decision making. The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will undertake the following tasks:
Tasks and responsibilities
- Establish and implement a results-based M&E framework for the project, in alignment with the processes and procedures of the Global Programme, including mapping and scheduling of information needs and project specific MEAL toolkit development, in collaboration with technical and operational officers.
- Provide capacity development for FAO Ethiopia staff and partners on the tools and systems established, function of M&E in quality assurance and strengthen a culture of open reflection, learning and improvement.
- In coordination with technical and operational officers, lead the process of data collection, analysis, reporting and information management, including timely provision of M&E data to programme for reporting.
- Provide oversight to all M&E activities, specifically related to the project, by assigning responsibilities, managing daily tasks, design medium-term plans and supervising staff.
- Establish a beneficiary accountability system and protocols for the project to ensure that beneficiaries are informed and given a responsive platform to give feedback and participate in the project.
- Monitor project activities and progress towards achievement of results and provide feedback to FAO Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of project implementation by identifying bottlenecks and recommending corrective actions.
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support implementation of the project and to identify/recommend required adaptations and assist in coordinating across various field offices to ensure effective implementation of M&E activities;
- Lead the process of project evaluation: managing baselines, midterm reviews and evaluations, including: drafting/reviewing TORs, evaluation team selection, providing technical feedback, facilitating management response and dissemination of findings, in line with FAO’s evaluation policies, procedures and practices.
- Identify and formulate lessons learned from project evaluations, special studies and monitoring to be integrated into broader knowledge management efforts.
- Contribute to the development of project proposals and ensure that the project’s Theory of Change is clear and indicators are SMART;
- Participate in UN M&E coordination structures, including UNDAF working groups;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in development studies, statistics, agriculture, economics or related fields;
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in monitoring and evaluation in a humanitarian and/or development contexts with good analytical and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills in English and limited knowledge of a second official language of the Organization (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Ethics and values
- Commitment and motivation
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Planning and organizing
- Respect for diversity
- Technological awareness
- Knowledge of/familiarity with statistical packages and computer analytical tools is a must.
- The incumbent must possess teamwork spirit, ability to work under minimum supervision, flexibility and good interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with food security and agriculture indicators.