The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Manager, Agribusiness Development Division
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092409
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are to develop, policy and strategy; provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; develop new financing instruments;
- The Vice President will act as the spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department
The role of the Agriculture & Agro-Industry Department is to provide support for the delivery of Feed Africa: Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in eighteen (18) priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones.
The Agribusiness Division supports the:
- Building of competitive commodity value chains by linking improved productivity to increased value addition, downstream marketing, and policy reforms
- Identification of successful value chain development strategies, models, and anchor companies that can be financed to raise production of target value chains and so drive progress to the goals of Feed Africa
- Development of agro-dealer network and input supply chains, including capacity building and provision of financing for supply chain actors – agro dealers, seed and fertilizer companies, and for domestic input production, including facilitation of concessional financing to lower the costs of input purchases for farmers
- Scale-up and replicate innovative models to organize and aggregate farmers by supporting effective approaches to organizing farmers through farmer groups, cooperatives or other innovative ways; help to broker off-take agreements with large agricultural buyers in order to improve the value proposition of improved inputs for farmers with limited market access;
- Implement the flagship on Post Harvest Loss Reduction and Agro-Processing, including formation of Agro-industrial clusters;
- Establishment of agribusiness platforms at continental and commodity value chain levels at the respective regional members countries to crowd in private sector engagement and investment;
- Development of Agribusiness Environment indices.
- The Manager of Agribusiness Development reports to the Director of the Agriculture & Agro-Industry Department.
- He/She is responsible for providing leadership and supervising the staff and activities for the development and implementation of the Bank’s program, under the agenda for promoting technologies for African agriculture transformation, and sustainable development in Africa.
The main work objectives are:
- To increase private sector investment into the agribusiness sector through building competitive commodity value chains that increase Return on Investment (ROI);
- To support Technology for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) in the establishment of strong agro input supply chains by provision of finance and capacity building to all actors, namely: agro-dealers, seed companies, and local/regional fertilizer producers/importers;
- To facilitate the creation of robust supply chains for processors and large traders via the provision of technical assistance, long term financing and capacity building to producers, aggregators, retailers, service providers, and other actors
- To reduce post-harvest losses via the identification and deployment of proven, culturally appropriate post-harvest loss solutions and processing options;
- To expand food processing through providing fiscal, policy, and financial incentives to processors to establish processing centers in regions of high food production, including collaboration with the Agricultural Finance and Rural Development Department on Staple Crop Processing Zones (SCPZs);
- To create opportunities along value chains for young people and women through financing, capacity building, and the creation of support systems via mentoring and agribusiness associations;
- To publish an annual Agribusiness Environment indices;
Duties and Responsibilities
The Manager of Agribusiness Development, under the oversight of the Director of Agriculture & Agro-Industry Department, manages staff of the Department and plans, organizes, supervises and directs the work to ensure efficient and effective Bank Group assistance. Specifically, the Manager will do:
Specific accountabilities of the function
- Provide specialist, pragmatic, and effective advice to agribusiness clients based on successful value chain development strategies and models that are contextually appropriate to the region, including assistance in developing bankable business deals;
- Establish effective partnerships with internal, external stakeholders, including other development partners, using a range of communication and facilitation skills, to deliver improved efficiency along commodity value chains to clients;
- Engage in knowledge generation (case studies), value chain analysis, policy reviews, and other analytical support service relevant to building competitive commodity value chains and an enabling environment;
- Provide leadership to Division staff, including those leading the implementation of the two flagships in the division – Post Harvest Loss Reduction and Agro Processing and ENABLE Youth, on the preparation and implementation of the work program;
- Design and deliver solutions that increase the ability of the division staff and across the Bank to effectively deliver their respective objectives, in line with their key performance indicators;
- Provide assistance and coaching for staff members requiring capacity strengthening to ensure they improve engagement and them to model organisational behaviours and improve technical competence;
- Represent the division, department, the Complex and the Bank at major agribusiness gatherings;
- Work with other divisions across the Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development to lead complex and innovative project cycle management activities;
- Review Bank policies, practices and procedures as necessary to identify and scope areas for improvement; lead and implement change in a way that engages clients and improves service delivery.
- Work within the complex to support the implementation of organizational change process.
- Ensure delivery and promotion of the strategic aims of the Bank’s Feed Africa agenda.
- Promote the creation of a fully conducive and inclusive work environment.
Detailed activities in relation with the accountabilities of the function:
- Contribute to the preparation of departmental annual work program and budgets according to the priorities set forth by the countries and regional divisions;
- Prepare annual division report detailing achievements, constraints and outlook;
- Contribute to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by providing input for the streamlining of Departmental and Bank interventions in the sector;
- Participate in complex project cycle activities, the preparation of Results documents Based on Country Strategy Papers and multi-sector portfolio review in regional members countries to ensure its consistency with sector work and other cross-cutting profile review towards selection of key pillars for Bank intervention;
- Participate in the review of policies, strategies, procedure and guidelines for Bank’s intervention in the agricultural and agro-industry sectors and related activities;
- Contribute to the development of appropriate strategies for intervening in the agricultural and rural development sector in line with country strategic paper/poverty reduction strategic papers for the various regional members countries;
- Serve as a base for sector knowledge building and dissemination by initiating sector studies and analysis;
- Assist in the creation of platforms, networks…