IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian Nationals for the following position at the Institute’s Headquarters in Ibadan.
Position: Research Associate (2 year renewable Contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist In scientific support/ backstopping to national programs on product development, processing and utilization of IITA mandate crops (cassava, maize, soybean, yam and cowpea).
- Provide technical support to small and medium scale processors on processing and utilization of IITA mandate crops (Cassava, Maize. Soybean, Yam and Cowpea)
- Assist in conducting Training of Trainers workshops and demonstrates on product development, processing and utilization of IITA mandate crops (Cassava, Maize, Soybean. Yam and Cowpea).
- Develop new products using Cassava, Maize, Soybean, Yam and Cowpea.
- Work with non- government organization and community-based organizations to disseminate technologies on I ITA Mandate crops.
- Ensure day-to-day operation of the food processing and postharvest engineering laboratories, general supervision of staff, and related matters.
- Provide links with other projects involved in commercialization of IITA mandate crops.
- Maintain correspondence and linkages with collaborators.
- Work in collaboration with the private sector in product development and testing.
- Assist in planning, Implementing and monitoring of pilot processing plants.
- Provide expertise in quality control/assurance of food products, analytical data and food production plants.
- Perform any duties assigned by the supervisor
Qualification & Experience
- Masters degree in Food Science and Technology and other related fields.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ work experience in agriculture research organizational will be an added advantage.
- The ideal candidate must be willing to travel extensively within Africa.
The ideal candidate must possess:
- Good Knowledge of Human Nutrition.
- Excellent English reporting, writing oral communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word and Power Point.
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, prioritize and organize workload: take initiative and work under pressure.
- Good team spirit and also a team member in accomplishment of duties
Position: Research Supervisor (2 year renewable Contract)
Successful candidate will:
- Conduct laboratory, screen house and field experiments.
- Carry out microbiology work involving sample preparation, organism isolations, Isolate storage, media preparation;
- Ensure proper sampling labeling, organization of work area;
- Keep proper records and ensure proper data entry into field and laboratory books.
- Conduct sampling with guidance from Research Associate Manager:
- Maintain a sterile work environment in preparation for and during laboratory work:
- Ensure proper organization of isolates in cold storage and work areas
- Conduct other assignment as assigned by supervisors.
Qualification and Experience
- B.Sc/HND Microbiology plus at least 5 years relevant working experience conducting microbiology task.
Applicant must be
- Able to work effectively in teams and independently.
- Able to follow instructions
- Able to communicate fluently
- Able to work under pressure and willing to work longer hours where necessary.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae, the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current remuneration package and photocopies of credentials to IITA website: http://www,iita.org/careers
Application should be submitted not Later than 29th January 2013