Country Project Supervisor (2 year renewable contract)
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Country Project Supervisor. This position is funded by African Development Bank (AfDB) under the Support to Agricultural Research for Development of Strategic Crops in Africa (SARD-SC).
This position is for staff seconded by Government. The Country Program Coordinator for Nigeria reports directly to the SARD-SC Maize Specialist in consultation with the Budget Officer for guidance in major work plan and day to day operations.
- Ensure the effective development of Innovation Platforms (IPs)
- Coordinate and backstop the national partners of the maize value chain stakeholders (producers, processors, traders, financial institutions, extension workers and researchers) within each IP to sustain the maize competitiveness
- Coordinate in-country execution of SARD-SC maize component activities
- Participate in sensitization programs and other activities to ensure visibility and effectiveness of the project
- Participate in training workshops as well as project review and planning meetings
- Write scientific papers for submission in high quality peer-reviewed journals.
- Prepare technical progress reports as required to be forwarded to the Project Maize Specialist
- Represent the project in meetings and conferences.
- Engage in advocacy to broaden project donor base, including linkages with other projects.
- Any other duties assigned from time to time
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- A minimum of M.Sc degree in agricultural science or related sciences
- Minimum experience in five (5) years in a similar position
- Knowledge of socio-economics or extension agronomy will be an advantage
- Experience with participatory extension approaches, working with farmers or farmer groups and commodity associations and the private sector
- Be proficient in the use of computers, database management software, statistical analysis software, internet-based tools and other electronic communication tools.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English required.
General information: Initial appointment is for two years. Subsequent renewal of the contract will be decided based on research outputs and productivity, and continued need for the position.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application:
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae, the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include either the Head of applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior officer at work. Evidence of current remuneration package and photocopies of credentials, to IITA website.
Please complete our online application form using this link:
Closing Date: 28th May 2013