IITA Recruitment: Communication Officer (Ref: HTD/CO/04/13)
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Communication Officer.
IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
Humidtropics – the CGIAR Program on integrated agricultural systems for the humid tropics represents an exciting and challenging initiative of the CGIAR. It is aimed at improving overall agricultural productivity, and transforming the lives of rural poor in the humid tropics region, through systems research in the framework of Integrated Agricultural Research for Development. The program, which is led by IITA, is part of a family of 15 CGIAR Research Programs (CRPs) designed to address major global development challenges, and is implemented in four Action Areas of (i) West Africa Humid Lowlands, (ii) East and Central Africa Highlands, (iii) Central America and Caribbean, and (iv) Central Mekong.
- Lead overall Humidtropics communication and knowledge management
- Support the development and maintenance of internal and external stakeholder relationships with emphasis on Partners and Investors.
- Design, implement, monitor and evaluate communication strategies, plans and campaigns to promote Humidtropics R4D activities and development impacts to target audiences.
- Identify opportunities with Partners for public relations and media relations campaigns, and oversee such campaigns with relevant background information on Humidtropics.
- Maintain the information on the Humidtropics website and online social media.
- Actively engage in the development and production of brochures, leaflets, short videos, etc. and liaise with communication staff of the Partner Organizations with the same.
- Develop and package print/web/audiovisual/multimedia materials in a variety of formats for donors, and farmers
- Provide editorial, communication support and documentation for Humidtropics activities
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with the media including national, regional, and international newspapers, magazines, radio, and television; and mobilize them for Humidtropics project public awareness (PA) events
- Perform any other communication activities as may be assigned by the Executive Office managers
The candidate should have MSc or MA degree in journalism, communications, public affairs, or fields related to agricultural science.
- Minimum of five years of relevant, substantial and diverse professional experience in all facets of communication and public affairs.
- Proven ability to conceptualise, design and implement major campaigns, strategies and programmes
- Experience in communications and the ability to write clear, compelling and diverse English-language communications materials for different audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural team and under pressure.
- Outstanding client service orientation and good interpersonal skills
- Excellent knowledge of modern communication tools and approaches.
- Expertise in web-based publishing and marketing.
- Previous experience in developing countries or international organisations, and particularly a successful record in a position similar to that advertised.
Duty Station: IITA-HQ, Ibadan, Nigeria
General information: Initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications: Applications including covering letter, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link:
Closing Date: 4th June 2013