IITA Recruitment: Agribusiness Coordinator (Ref: DDG-R4D/ABC/05/13)
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the regionally recruited position of Agribusiness Coordinator.
IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
The Agribusiness Coordinator will work with other team members to maintain the sustainable supply of cassava roots to targeted cassava starch/gari factories recommended by public-private sector investors to increase the income and food security of small-scale farmers. The other tasks are as follows:
- Coordinate the day to day implementation of all the cassava value chain projects. This involves the selection, clustering, mobilization, and training of farmers, identification of efficient service providers, establishment of Demonstration and Multiplication Trials, processing facilities, and organizing field days. It also includes making regular monitoring and evaluation visits.
- Ensure that the targets specified in each project are met at the specified time.
- Assist in the procurement of inputs (germplasm, herbicides, fertilizer, etc) and their distribution to farmers.
- Supervise all field staff and activities in the project States (Oyo, Ondo, Edo, Niger, Kogi, Imo, Anambra, Jigawa etc).
- Coordinate the collection of field data and analyses with the IITA Biometrics Unit.
- Prepare technical and financial reports periodically as required by each investor.
- Assist in demonstrating the economics of cassava root supply using a farmers’ cluster model.
- In conjunction with other scientists, develop extension leaflets, scientific articles for peer-reviewed journals, IITA Bulletin, and other magazines/periodicals.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Project Manager and the Director, R4D West Africa Hub.
The candidate should hold at least a Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, Business Management, Food Science and Technology, Agriculture/Agronomy or other related fields.
- Minimum of 8 years working experience in an agricultural research organization.
- Good knowledge of the Cassava Value Chain.
- Excellent English reporting, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word and Power Point).
- Strong ability to coordinate, prioritise and organise workload; take the initiative, and work under pressure.
- Good team spirit, with readiness to participate as a team member in the accomplishment of duties.
Duty Station: Abuja, Nigeria.
General information: Initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications: Applications including covering letter, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link:
Closing Date: 5th June 2013