IITA Latest Jobs – Banana Breeder
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Banana Breeder. IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa.
IITA is seeking to fill the position Banana Breeder. This position is responsible for applying modern research tools to develop improved banana cultivars through the use of adapted and introduced germplasm. The breeder will work with other IITA scientists, national and international partners to breed suitable cultivars for a range of uses. The breeder will also be expected to take a leadership role in identifying new opportunities for banana production in East and Southern Africa through liaison with other IITA scientists, donors, national governments, the private sector and other potential industrial users.
- The Banana Breeder will report to the Director of East Africa Regional Hub at IITA. More specifically, he/she will:
- Provide leadership for interdisciplinary research leading to banana/plantain crop improvement at IITA; especially in east, central, and West Africa.
- Develop highly productive, adapted banana hybrids and/or breeding populations, introgressing desirable traits such as better nutritive content, disease and pest resistance
- Apply creative approaches for the exploitation of cytogenetics, genomics and NGS data for germplasm enhancement and improvement of the banana crop
- High quality research in the area of breeding methodology, MAB, next-generation sequencing and biotic/abiotic stress tolerance
- Develop and extend effective partnerships and collaborative relationships with o National researchers at NARES, universities, etc. o Collaborating CGIAR and other partners in cross-cutting research, e.g. with CRP 3.4: Roots, Tubers and Bananas; CRP 4: Agriculture for Nutrition and Health, and others o Researchers at advanced research institutes
- Mentor and backstop graduate students involved in related research
- Publish scientific output in peer-reviewed journals, technical reports, IITA bulletins, or other fora; represent IITA at scientific conferences
Qualification & Experience:
The candidate should have a PhD degree in plant genetics, genomics, plant breeding, or related field.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be capable of conducting a field-breeding program with multidisciplinary and multi-locational research activities resulting in peer reviewed publications.
- Must have demonstrated experience in cytogenetic or genomic assessment of polypoids such as banana, alfalfa, potato, or any other species. Strong scientific publication record Familiarity with on-farm research methods Computer literacy and statistical data analysis capabilities.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment Excellent leadership, mentoring, management, interpersonal, and team building skills Working knowledge of Sub-Saharan Africa Excellent skills in English and working knowledge of Spanish, French or Portuguese preferred