Application Deadlines: 31 January 2019
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
IITA seeks a highly motivated Project Manager with field experience in agricultural technology transfer and management of complex partnerships to manage two similar multi-institutional projects in Mali and Niger. The projects aim to reduce poverty and food insecurity, protect natural resources, and increase farmer incomes by enhancing agricultural productivity, strengthening market linkages, and facilitating new agribusinesses particularly those led by women and youth. Project interventions are organized into two broad components: scaling out of proven, ready-to-go
• Provide overall leadership and a results-based project management function to ensure that project targets are achieved within the set timelines and corresponding budgets.
• Coordinate planning, implementation, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of the projects.
• Create efficient mechanisms for synergies and extensive sharing of knowledge between the two projects for efficient use of resources and enhanced project outcomes.
• Participate directly in field implementation of activities to scale out proven, ready-to-go climate smart technologies.
• Ensure effective cooperation and coordination among staff, partners and other stakeholders of the projects.
• Elaborate work plans for all actions and activities of the project including preparation of periodic status reports like quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports and budget revisions.
• Liaising with similar projects and projects within IITA and outside to ensure synergies and cohesion
• Establish and strengthen productive partnerships with national and international implementing partners and facilitate learning and knowledge sharing across the entire project partnership.
• Organize regular planning and review meetings with all stakeholders and implementing partners and participate in policy dialogues and consultations with policy makers.
• Prepare and submit quality technical and financial reports to the donor in a timely fashion with support from IITA’s Finance Directorate and Project Development and Administration Unit.
• Work closely with the MEL officer to develop a performance management plan for the projects and monitor the implementation processes to track milestones and report on selected standard performance indicators, as well as custom indicators and outputs.
• Contribute to capacity strengthening of projects staff and other partners through on-the-job training as well as structured training workshops.
• Contribute to publication of action research results and success stories.
• Perform any other activities as may be assigned
The candidate should have a
• Experience of at least 5 years as a project manager of large-scale agricultural development projects, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa.
• Good understanding of the agricultural sector and its development challenges in Africa, such as those affecting technology dissemination, adoption, and impacts.
• Demonstrated ability to integrate gender issues into development projects for achieving genderequitable project outcomes and impacts.
• Ability to work collegially and collaboratively in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
• Demonstrated communication, networking, computer, and organizational skills and ability to prepare high quality reports.
• Proven experience with engaging with public and private sector stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability in stakeholder and partner engagement and policy dialogue.
• Excellent leadership, interpersonal and team building skills.
• Willingness to travel extensively.
• Fluency in oral and written French and English.
The position will be based in Mali.
The contract will be for an initial period of three years with possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/careers Closing Date: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found