ICRISAT is seeking applications from dynamic and highly innovative Cereals Breeder to work on sorghum in collaboration with other crop improvement scientists. The position will be based at the ICRISAT research center in Kano, Nigeria, but will work in collaboration with ICRISAT cereal scientists based in other locations in West Africa (Mali and Niger), as well cereal scientists based in Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) and India, and with the NARS in Nigeria and neighboring countries with similar agro-ecologies and market requirements for sorghum.
ICRISAT is a non‐profit, apolitical, international organization for science‐based agricultural development. Established in 1972, it is one of the 15 Centers of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), and is supported by more than 48 governments, foundations, and development banks. ICRISAT with its Headquarters located in India has regional centers and research teams in Asia and Sub‐Saharan Africa. ICRISAT’s Regional hub for Western and Central Africa (WCA) is located in Bamako, Mali, with scientists also located in research centers in Niamey, Niger. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
- Lead ICRISAT’s sorghum breeding research and seed sector development targeting Nigeria, and adjacent countries with needs for similar sorghum grain and plant types.
- Work with interdisciplinary team of scientists including other breeders, molecular geneticists, pathologists, entomologists, agronomists, socio-economists, seed systems specialists and technology transfer experts from ICRISAT, National Agricultural Research Institutes and development partners
- Contribute to partnership development and resource mobilization for ICRISAT and partners involved in sorghum improvement and associated crop management focusing on Nigeria.
- Contribute to the CGIAR research Program on Dryland Cereals (CRP 3.6) and other dryland cereals R4D activities
- Contribute to capacity strengthening of partners in the target region through support towards degree and non-degree training in collaboration with universities in the region and beyond.
- PhD degree in genetics and/or plant breeding with 5-10 years post-doctoral experience in crop breeding research, with an interest development-oriented, on-farm research and basic sorghum breeding research.
- Experience with cultivar development, open-pollinated varieties, and hybrids and their parental lines, their release and popularization
- Experience with organizing seed production and commercialization, in collaboration with emerging private companies, and processing industries
- Sound knowledge of both conventional, participatory and molecular breeding methods, including hybrid breeding procedures
- Knowledge of quantitative genetics for optimizing selection programs, for refining heterotic grouping and performing combining ability analyses
- Knowledge of molecular marker applications for germplasm characterization, improving selection efficiency and enhancing targeted use of genetic diversity in the breeding program
- Strong statistical skills, knowledge of computer applications and software for data collection, management and analysis. Fluency in English (both spoken and written) essential, and knowledge of French is desirable
- Good publication record, as evidenced by research papers in refereed journals
- Proven good track record in attracting project funding
- Strong communication skills and experience in working with a wide range of stakeholders and interest to work in interdisciplinary team
This is an internationally recruited staff position with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars. The package includes base salary, housing, pension, international insurance, children education, and relocation facilities. The position is initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability. An attractive compensation will be offered for the right candidate.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 31 August 2012 by email to: ICRISATjobs@cgiar.org, with a letter of motivation, a latest Curriculum Vitae (nationality, age, gender, marital status), and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. The reference name of the position (Scientist/Senior Scientist-Sorghum Breeding-WCA), should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the email. Screening of applications will begin in September 2012 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer and is especially interested in increasing the participation of women on its staff. ICRISAT has a flexible approach to international appointments and welcomes dual-career couples.