We are inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Sustainable Economic Growth/Growth That Works for Everyone
- Through the High Commission of Canada to Nigeria, Global Affairs Canada is seeking Consultants to provide technical assistance and advisory services for the monitoring of its development programming in Nigeria for a period of 6 months (approx. Sept. 2017 to March 2018).
- Global Affairs Canada is seeking one (1) consultant, with significant expertise in the area of Sustainable Economic Growth/Growth That Works for Everyone.
- In Nigeria, this refers to expertise in rural livelihoods, agricultural business development, access to finance, climate-smart agriculture, and/or youth entrepreneurship.
- Canada is currently programming in these aspects of rural economic development, with a strong focus on the rights and economic opportunities of women and girls.
In applying for this consultancy, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Post-graduate Degree from an accredited, recognized institution in a relevant discipline such as Agriculture, International Development, Rural Development, Economics, Project Management, Applied Sciences or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience working on international development projects focusing on rural livelihoods, including youth entrepreneurship, economic opportunities for women and girls, and/or climate-smart agriculture.
- Demonstrated experience of 5 years or more providing advice, including drafting briefing notes, sectoral analyses, and monitoring and assessment reports for senior decision makers in donor agencies, government or civil society organizations or private sector. Samples of work to be supplied upon request.
- Demonstrated experience in performing monitoring and/or external evaluation
- Prior experience with donor funding and donor approaches to rural livelihoods, youth entrepreneurship, and/or agriculture, preferably for the Government of Canada
- Significant experience in the following thematic/sectoral subject matters: Climate Change, Access to Finance, Agri-business development, Gender Equality, Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Knowledge of Nigeria at both federal and state-level
- Knowledge of results-based management (RBM) including the function of the logic model (LM) and performance measurement frameworks (PMF), and theories of change
- Knowledge of development implementation issues and challenges to achieving project results
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated skill in time management and delivery of finalised reports/deliverables by deadline
- Ability to arrange and undertake travel to northern areas of Nigeria in potentially security-compromised contexts
Level of Effort:
- The level of effort is anticipated at up to 140 days, from signature of contract until March 31st, 2018.
- This includes travel within Nigeria, production of various reports, presentations, and analyses related to project contexts, sectors, and progress towards results.
- The intensity of work will be variable, with periods of heightened activity followed by periods of relatively low levels of activity.
- The specific scheduling of work will be agreed upon in the work plan developed by the successful candidate and approved by Global Affairs Canada.
Application Closing Date
7th August, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates must submit the following documents:
- Candidate CV (limit 4 pages) and Cover Letter (limit 2 pages) demonstrating how the candidate meets requirements 1-5 in the list above
- A separate document containing written responses to the questions below
An email with these three documents as separate attachments in word/pdf should be sent to: [email protected]
Responses must be limited to 300 words for each question. Any submission beyond this word count will not be considered. Please use complete sentences. The responses will form the basis of assessing requirement 10 above on written communication skills:
- Question 1: Please describe challenges facing youth endeavouring to establish small businesses and become entrepreneurs in Nigeria.
- Question 2: Please describe the impacts from climate change that Nigeria is currently experiencing and is predicted to face.
- Question 3: Please describe how the challenges faced by female entrepreneurs are different from those faced by male entrepreneurs.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Only applications respecting the page/word limits will be considered.
- A full set of Terms of Reference is also available upon request by writing an email to: [email protected] by July 28th, 2017.