Agricultural Officer (IPPC Technical Support)
Organizational Unit: Agriculture and Consumer Protection Department, AGD
International Plant Protection Convention
Secretariat, IPPC (AGDI)
Deadline For Application: 7 December 2018
The International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) is an international agreement on plant health with 183 contracting parties, which aims to protect world’s cultivated and wild plants by preventing the introduction and spread of plant pests. The IPPC is a Convention approved by the FAO Conference in adherence with Article XIV of the Constitution of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. The IPPC Secretariat is hosted by FAO HQ and is responsible to facilitate the implementation of the Convention. Within FAO Strategic Framework it contributes to the Strategic Programs on Sustainable
Agriculture and Food Systems respectively.
The Agricultural Officer reports the senior Agricultural Officer (Team Leader, Implementation and Facilitation). As a member of the AGDI Team, the incumbent will be part of the Implementation and Facilitation Unit, which supports the work, related to Implementation and Capacity development.
Provides leadership, guidance and operational support for results-based policy assistance and governance work of decentralized offices in the Region, in relation to regional and sub-regional policy issues, and provides guidance to the work of policy officers posted at sub regional and country level in relation to their work on environment, climate change, bioenergy, landscape management, biodiversity and natural resources management.
Collection and analysis of information, data and statistics and support to programme projects, products and services in alignment with the Organization’s Gender Policy.
- Collects and analyses relevant technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional and technology related information, data and/or statistics to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
- Undertakes analysis, provides technical input for plans and reports and edits/revises technical/scientific documents;
- Participates in the development of improved work methods, tools and systems;
- Updates databases and web pages;
- Participates on multi-disciplinary project/work teams;
- Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc;
- Participates in the organization, conduct and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
- Contributes to the delivery of IPPC-related projects by reviewing and analyzing technical/scientific information and data;
- Supports the development of phytosanitary capacity at the national level by applying the Phytosanitary Capacity Evaluation (PCE) tool ;
- Supports the development and publication of guides, training materials and e-learning
- Maintains and updates phytosanitary web resources;
- Provides support to the Implementation and Capacity Development Committee and related IC Sub-groups and teams.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Agriculture, Agronomy or Biological Sciences.
- Three years of relevant experience in plant protection, plant genetic resources, seed systems and/or agrobiodiversity
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese or Russian.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Knowledge of the IPPC standards and training materials as well as IPPC Secretariat programmes and activities is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in implementing IPPC, International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures and Commission on Phytosanitary Measures recommendations as well as with the application of the Phytosanitary Capacity Evaluation;
- Demonstrated ability to organise technical meetings at the national and/or international level.
- Extent and relevance of experience in collecting and analysing technical information and data
- Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation, editing and revision of technical/scientific documents
- All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “How to Apply”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- Candidates endorsed in the selection process for this vacancy announcement will be considered for the FAO Professional Employment Roster for a period of two years. The Roster is used to fill other similar positions at the same or lower grade, and in the same or another duty station
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments
REMUNERATION: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
HOW TO APPLY: To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete the on-line application.
Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered. Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile. Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.