Application Deadline: 14/Sep/2018, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: RNE
Type of Requisition: Consultant
Duration: 4 months (WAE)
FAO’s Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (FAO-RNE) has the Regional Water Scarcity Initiative (WSI) as the mechanism to deliver results from water-related programmes, including: support to the League of Arab States (LAS) to implement the Arab Water Security Strategy; non-conventional water resources management; groundwater governance; water accounting and monitoring; sustainability, strategic planning and policy of water resources allocation, governance and management; increasing of water productivity; contributing to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 6, Target 6.4.
In December 2013, the ‘NENA Land & Water Days’ Regional Conference represented the starting point of the WSI. After about five years from that Conference, the Regional Office for Near East and North Africa of FAO (FAO-RNE) intends to convene a second ‘NENA Land & Water Days’ conference in February 2019.
The Senior Water Specialist under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director General and Regional Representative of the NENA Region, reports to the Regional Programme Coordinator and Delivery Manager of the Water Scarcity Initiative and work in collaboration with FAO partners and technical officers in the Region and in Land & Water Division in HQ (CBL).
Within the mandate of FAO-RNE, the incumbent will support FAO-RNE in the preparation of the contents of the ‘NENA Land & Water Days’ event, February 2019.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Senior Water Specialist will perform the following tasks:
- Review key documents related to the event programs, including concept notes, draft studies, presentations
- Draft ToRs and detailed outlines of the thematic and country case-studies to be undertaken
- Prepare a synthesis paper on lessons learned and the way forward
- Perform other related duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
PhD or Advanced University degree in Economics and/or Policy related to Agricultural Water Resources Management with operational experience;
Twelve years of relevant (field) experience in water resources management, including leading water related programmes in government departments, international organizations, and working experience in developing countries in NENA Region;
Working knowledge of English (Level C), French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
- Results Focus
- Knowledge of issues concerning water policy, political economy, governance and institutions
- Ability to produce well written reports demonstrating analytical ability, evaluation and analysis skills
- Ability to manage and supervise assessments and ensure timely submission of reports Strategic Thinking
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential;
- Extent and relevance of experience with international organisations in coordinating irrigation and water resources development programmes;
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing and leading meetings and training activities at national and regional level;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the Near East and North Africa region;
- Familiarity with FAO WSI and knowledge of FAO activities, structure and procedures is considered a strong asset;
• Extensive experience and knowledge on water scarcity issue in NENA region;
• Familiarity with the FAO Water Scarcity Initiative
FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
Candidates with acceptable language certificate/s should upload them when submitting their application. For details, visit http://www.fao.org/3/I8446EN/i8446en.pdf
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help or have queries, please contact: [email protected]