FAO Jobs: Land And Water Officer (Aquastat) in Rome
Job Posting: 20/May/2019
Closure Date: 10/Jun/2019, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: CBL
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition: Professional
Grade Level: P-4.
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
Duration: 2 years with possibility of extension
Post Number: 0072702
The Land and Water Division aims at enhancing the agricultural productivity and advancing the sustainable use of land and water resources through their improved governance, management, development and conservation. It addresses the challenges member countries face in ensuring productive and efficient use of land and water resources in order to meet present and future demands for agricultural products, while ensuring the long-term sustainability of the land and water quantity and quality. It promotes equitable access to these natural resources with a view to enhancing productivity, livelihoods and ecosystem services. It provides assistance to member nations in developing policies, programmes, best practices and tools in the fields of irrigation and drainage, soil conservation, drought mitigation, water rights, and access to natural resources, and contributes to the broader goal of sustainable food and agriculture through participation in multi-disciplinary and cross-sectoral actions.
The post is located in FAO-Headquarters, Rome.
The Land and Water Officer reports to the Senior Land and Water Officer, Team leader, Water Resources Data, Information and Assessments.
The incumbent will be responsible for day-to-day coordination and maintenance of AQUASTAT, FAO’s Global information system on water and agriculture, and related activities. In this regard, the Land and Water Officer will be responsible for the analytical appraisal, validation and dissemination of statistics, data and information in the field of water and agriculture.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of Departmental/Division programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with Departmental/Division objectives and FAO Strategic Objectives.
• Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams, leads and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-Departmental committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
• Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
• Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.Specific Functions
• Oversees the validation process of the information submitted by AQUASTAT country correspondents, leads the day-to-day coordination of the AQUASTAT programme, and ensures the regular updating, processing, validation and data quality of the AQUASTAT Information system;
• Acts as FAO focal point for water-related SDG monitoring, in particular SDG6, and contribute to corporate programmes in terms of SDG monitoring;
• Coordinates and leads a network of AQUASTAT country correspondents for acquisition and analysis of water data and generation of pertinent information, and develops and maintains institutional networks and partnerships in the field of water related data and information, both within FAO and with external partners;
• Develops and organizes technical assistance, capacity development programmes and workshops in the technical focus areas, particularly at country level, in collaboration with relevant decentralized offices;
• Designs, writes and presents documents , briefs and factsheets as well as strategic and complex reports on water resources and use in agriculture, and contributes to water-related data and information and corporate studies; Participates in meetings to ensure appropriate coordination and quality management of FAO statistical activities.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agriculture, sustainable natural resources management, environment, engineering, hydrology, irrigation, earth sciences, natural resources statistics or closely related fields
• Seven years of relevant experience in land and water resources and environmental related activities, including water resources/ecosystem assessment and management, ‘
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese or Russian
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in the management of projects and programmes related to the collection of agriculture-related water data and information;
• Extent and relevance of experience in quantitative statistical analyses and methodological research in water and natural resource statistics;
• Extent and relevance of experience applying statistical methods in the production of water and natural resource statistics.
• Proficiency in using statistical software;
• Familiarity with relevant techniques and experience related to water accounting, water auditing and water resources assessments;
• Demonstrated results-based management capabilities with an ability to manage programmes efficiently
• Experience in organizing international meetings, seminars and training courses;
• Ability to mobilize resources.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills.
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile;
- Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application;
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile;
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list;
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered;
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered;
- Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date;
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.