Closure Date: 30/Dec/2018, 11:59:00 PM
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Primary Location: Various Locations
Duration: Assignments from one to eleven months on a when-actually-employed basis
The Fisheries and Aquaculture Policy and Resources Division (FIA) is responsible for the economic, social, institutional, governance and policy aspects of FAO’s activities related to fisheries and aquaculture and their development, with particular emphasis on human well-being, food security and poverty reduction; post-harvest utilization, marketing and trade with due regard to the protection of the environment, food security, nutrition and the well-being of fishing communities; collection, compilation, validation, trend analysis and dissemination of the best available and up-to-date fishery statistics and for the syndication of the FAO information on all aspects of world fisheries and aquaculture. The Division is also responsible for FAO’s activities related to the management and conservation of the living aquatic resources used by fisheries and aquaculture, including biodiversity and ecosystem restoration and protection, with particular emphasis on most vulnerable and threatened species and habitats; management of responsible fisheries and aquaculture in accordance with modern management standards and best practices; development of fisheries technology, with due regard to the protection of the environment, food security, nutrition and the well-being of fishing communities, including the safety of fishers and fishing vessels. The Division also carries out a number of activities to assess the vulnerability of fisheries and aquaculture resources and dependent communities to climate change and support countries in their adaptation efforts.
The Consultants will work under the overall supervision of the FIA Division Director and the direct supervision of a relevant Officer of one of the Branches (FIAF, FIAP, FIAA, FIAO, FIAS, FIAM)
Support FIA’s work on compilation of information and development of knowledge products on climate change impacts, adaptation and mitigation. Develop concept notes for resource mobilization purposes and assist with the formulation of project proposals and project documents. Work with FIA staff to implement policies, programmes and field projects aiming at building adaptive capacity to climate change and other external stressors affecting fisheries and aquaculture.
Tasks and responsibilities
The tasks and responsibilities of each selected Consultant will be defined in the Terms of Reference for the specific assignment. In general, assigned tasks and responsibilities will normally include a number of the following elements depending on the assignment and the expertise of the Consultant:
- Formulate Projects in accordance with FAO’s strategic framework and the FAO project cycle.
- Coordinate, implement and administrate assigned programmes/projects and/or project component and activities in accordance with FAO rules, procedures and systems, and Donor requirements.
- Organize and participate in field missions and other events in support of the delivery of FIA’s programme of work, including for consultation, training, capacity building and technical assistance to beneficiaries of FAO support programmes and projects.
- Contribute to relevant studies, publications and analyses, knowledge products and dissemination materials related to FIA’s areas of work, including guidelines, capacity building and training material.
- Contribute to FIA’s work related to resource mobilization, monitoring of regular programme expenses and organization of international meetings.
- Collaborate within FIA’s remit with the various Branches and whenever required other Departments, including providing assistance to countries and partners in responding to emergencies involving the fisheries and aquaculture sector.
- Collaborate with relevant UN agencies, intergovernmental organizations and non-governmental organisations, in areas of mutual interest.
- Represent FIA in internal and external meetings, in particular those related to the development and implementation of FIA-led programmes/projects. (only for consultants).
- Any other duty related to FIA’s areas of work and to specific assignments.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in (for Consultants) / University degree (only for PSA) in fisheries studies, development studies, economics, political sciences, business administration, international relations or other relevant field.
- One to four years of relevant experience in the design and implementation of development and/or emergency programmes/projects dealing with fisheries and/or aquaculture with a focus on climate change, for base level consultants (C level); at least five years’ relevant experience in the design and implementation of development and/or emergency programmes/projects dealing with fisheries and/or aquaculture with a focus on climate change, for middle level consultants (B level); and at least 12 years’ relevant experience (at least 15 for PSAs level A) in the design and implementation of development and/or emergency programmes/projects dealing with fisheries and/or aquaculture with a focus on climate change, for senior level consultants (A level).
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian. For PSAs working knowledge of one FAO language is required.
- Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in the field is essential.
- Extent and relevance of experience or knowledge of and in provision of scientific support and advice to national, regional and international fisheries/aquaculture management and conservation bodies, as well as humanitarian organizations in both developed and developing countries.
- Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementation of research and/or development programmes in fisheries and/or aquaculture or aquatic environmental management with special emphasis on climate change.
- Depth of knowledge of current global issues related to climate change impacts, disaster risk, adaptation or mitigation, trends, constraints, and research needs related to the management and conservation of aquatic resources and ecosystems.
- Extent and relevance of experience in the quantitative analysis and assessment of fisheries in the context of climate change (e.g. exploited stocks, economic analysis).
- Familiarity with resource mobilization processes.
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing national and international meetings, seminars and training courses.
- Extent and relevance of experience in one or more of the main areas of FIA’s work.
- Extent of experience in development and/or emergency programmes/ project management, including formulation, work planning, budgeting, implementation and reporting.
- Experience in coordinating and liaising with industry, academia, national authorities, UN agencies, donors, intergovernmental organizations, and non-governmental organizations
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT