Organizational Unit:Subregional Office for the Gulf Cooperation Council States and Yemen, SNG
Grade Level: P-4
Duty Station: United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi
Duration: Fixed term: one year (with possibility of extension)
Post Number: 2007081
CCOG Code: 1R
Position Title: Natural Resources Officer (Agronomy and Water Resources)
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The FAO Subregional Office for the Gulf Cooperation Council States and Yemen (SNG) is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing subregional food, agriculture and rural development priorities. It develops and maintains relations with subregion-wide institutions including Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).It assists the FAO Representations in the subregion with addressing subregional food security, agriculture and rural development issues at country level. The Subregional Office is a subsidiary of FAO’s Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE).
The Natural Resources Officer reports to the Subregional Coordinator for the Gulf Cooperation Council States and Yemen under functional guidance of the relevant technical divisions in headquarters to ensure corporate technical coherence and quality.
Agronomy and Water Resources.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of regional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with regional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
• Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in internal committees, project teams,and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases, etc., to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work,projects, products and/or services;
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools,technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/specialist/advice and expertise;
• Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support,organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, online tools;
• Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices,increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO corporate strategy, in collaboration with the Business Development and Resource Mobilization Division (PRS)
• Coordinates, in collaboration with the Regional Programme Leader, relevant technical units and the members of SNG’s multidisciplinary team, the identification and formulation of requests for external assistance by governments in the fields of water savings technologies, climate change and climate smart agriculture, crop production, particularly vegetables, dates and fruit, and other related areas;
• Organizes relevant reviews of state-of-the-art technology applicable to the climate in the countries covered by SNG and advises on needs, projects or the development, management and conservation of water resources and crop production with special emphasis on closed agricultural systems and hydroponics;
• Advises the Government of the United Arab Emirates on the implementation of the United Arab Emirates Food Diversification Policy and Implementation Strategy 2018-2030;
• Monitors plant production situations and prospects at the national, subregional and regional levels, advises Member Governments in identification, formulation, implementation and evaluation of programmes, emphasizing capacity building;
• Promotes, organizes and participates in studies and represents FAO/SNG in conferences/meetings/workshops related to the aforementioned fields and follow-up with the initiation of activities emanating from such studies;
• Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in in agriculture, engineering or natural sciences with specialization in agronomy, horticulture, irrigation and water resources development or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in natural resources management, including in government departments, international organizations, or in private enterprises;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
• Results Focus;
• Building Effective Relationships;
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in natural resources management, extreme, water-scarce natural environments;
• Extent and relevance of experience in formulating and implementing programmes and projects;
• Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources;
• Demonstrated ability to analyse technical and scientific information; to write clearly and concisely, edit technical reports and make effective oral presentations;
• Extent and relevance of experience in organizing and leading meetings and training activities at national and regional level;
• Relevance and extent of knowledge and experience in working across government entities at federal and local level, and with multidisciplinary teams.
• All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “How to Apply”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills
• Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
• Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of two years
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete your online profile. Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact:iRecruitment@fao.org